Dog ownership cost

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have suspected this for a while after hearing of the expenses my friends have had. I know there now is pressure to maintain an enhanced level of care for dogs over that of the past. Iwonder if the 20K includes things such as a fence?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/04...ptop|dl31|sec1_lnk3&pLid=465355#!slide=979257

“According to the folks at Veterinary Pet Insurance, $20,000 is also the average cost of raising a dog from puppy through, well, the end. Granted, Veterinary Pet Insurance (a subsidiary of insurance-giant Nationwide) is trying to sell you its product, and plenty of people manage to raise a dog for less. But you do have to feed them, cover medical expenses, pay for dog-sitters or walkers if you travel, and buy the occasional bone or tennis ball.”

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Hello; I have suspected this for a while after hearing of the expenses my friends have had. I know there now is pressure to maintain an enhanced level of care for dogs over that of the past. Iwonder if the 20K includes things such as a fence?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/04...ptop|dl31|sec1_lnk3&pLid=465355#!slide=979257

“According to the folks at Veterinary Pet Insurance, $20,000 is also the average cost of raising a dog from puppy through, well, the end. Granted, Veterinary Pet Insurance (a subsidiary of insurance-giant Nationwide) is trying to sell you its product, and plenty of people manage to raise a dog for less. But you do have to feed them, cover medical expenses, pay for dog-sitters or walkers if you travel, and buy the occasional bone or tennis ball.”
Medical expenses --- adopt a mutt as they have proven to be very healthy. Now if you get dogs such as badly bred purebred English Bulldog, German Shepherd ---- $20,000 is possible in a few years just for vet bills.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Hello; I have suspected this for a while after hearing of the expenses my friends have had. I know there now is pressure to maintain an enhanced level of care for dogs over that of the past. Iwonder if the 20K includes things such as a fence? surely, fence costs not part of their estimate, any more than your rent or home ................

&#8220;According to the folks at Veterinary Pet Insurance, $20,000 is also the average cost of raising a dog from puppy through, well, the end. Granted, Veterinary Pet Insurance (a subsidiary of insurance-giant Nationwide) is trying to sell you its product, and plenty of people manage to raise a dog for less. But you do have to feed them, cover medical expenses, pay for dog-sitters or walkers if you travel <--those expenses sound like for people in urban lifestyles, some maybe even keeping "dogs instead of kids". everyone I know with a dog has yards & cheaper care if they're away from home. like doggy doors and family or friends to help, and buy the occasional bone or tennis ball.&#8221;
I don't know if those estimates are common or not. but seriously, who counts tennis balls or bones?
Regular upkeep like food & routine Veterinary maintenance is just "part of family life expenses" so choose dogs who can be fed within your budget.
Bigger issues, like diagnostics/surgery etc can get tricky real fast.
My rural Vets are willing to accept money down and then payments on unexpected issues, IF they have experienced you following through. Mine don't hassle about the amount of your payments, as long as it arrives.

yeah, keeping dogs adds up. but mine helped me survive lengthy times of severe health problems. When the human family is gone to work, it's the dogs who I remember for being there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store