CONJAG - Has white lips this morning

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Hey everyone,
I woke up this morning to find my Convict x Jag hybrid (male) with swollen white lips. Not sure if it is fungus or maybe he got into a lip lock. Here are some pictures of his lips before and after (this morning). Any ideas on best route to treat this guy...Thank you in advance.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
It could be the start of duck-lips (Flexibactor columnaris), very common in hybrids.
Just in case it is, the first thing to do, is make sure the water temp gradually drops below 82'F, the bacteria is most virulent at 82 and above.
It also thrives in detritus in the substrate, so a water change and vacuum is paramount.
Then google and get medications.
Here is a beani that died in about 3 days of columnaris.
If swelling gets worse over night, and feeding stops you will know.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Post water perameters ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph. If it is Duck Lips your parameters will dictate which meds will be the most effective.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
If you suspect it may be Duck lips. Use Kenamycin. Also how do you show ammonia without any nitrite or nitrate?

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
I have no idea. I did a 50% water change yesterday, but was surprised my nitrates were at zero. Did I crash my cycle? I ran out of Prime and used some API water conditioner instead. I know API doesn't handle ammonia like Prime does, could this be a cause. I just did the tests so i am positive these are my results, what could this mean? I am also heavily stocked, could it be their waste?

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Looks like my male umbees lip did in the beginning when his jaw was broken.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I'm going to go ahead and take the advice to medicate the tank and treat it as duck lips. However, I do have two possible suspects who could have done this if it is in fact a broken jaw, which I hope it is not. Trace, you said your umbee looked like this in the beginning...I'm afraid to ask, but what did he look like in the end? Did he recover?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've had cichlids dislocate jaws from lip locking, these can usually be snapped back into place with your fingers.
With Ducklips, the fish stops eating, the jaw is paralyzed, feels solid, and won't budge, or move back into place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store