Is the Magdalena Umbriferum is really Umbriferum?

anthony_39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2013
Lakewood, Wa.
Hello fellow aquarist. .i asked that question because everyone seem to think that the Magdalena Umbee was the first Umbee recognized. Meek and Hildebrand first described the Umbee and named it Cichlasoma Umbriferum in which I call the true Umbriferum and those that have kept Umbees from Panama as no blue freckles...i had emailed Jeff Rapp also to get his take and he was aware of that also..He explained to me that the Umbees for panama on down to Choco system in Colombia were totally different from the Magdalena system...and I believe that it need to be cleared up its like the confusion with the Ornatum and A. Rivulatus Ko as to what is the real...just my thought.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
I can't believe that someone hasn't chimed with their take on what their particular strain should or shouldn't be named. I can just picture someone wanting to call them cichlasoma gorrilus or retardus or whatever stupid name that they have chosen to label their particular ''strain'' with.

All seriousness aside, you have a valid topic here.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
This dosnt make sense! What are you saying? As far as it goes now there is Caquetaia Umbriferum.
Then there is different Locales. Choco, lake Guatape, rio Magdalena etc.
The only thing I think should change is that it should be stated where in the Magdalena an Umbee is collect. As it is a massive water system.

I dont see how umbee compares to green terrors.

As far as these fish being in a diff Genus, thats a diff story.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Given the splitters are in vogue atm, I wouldn't be surprised to find the various locations broken up into different species much as other fish have been lately (convicts, festivums, sevs, ect). The various umbees show much larger differences than those groups do.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Umbriferum fired Caqatia
Umbriferum is now Umbriferum only

This is new stuff .So far we have:
Umbriferum Green Giant, Umbriferum Freckled Monster, And Umbriferum Gorillus

anthony_39

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2013
Lakewood, Wa.
What I am saying is they should consider the different variants as Umbriferum sp. magdalena in the manor...All are variants of the Umbees from Panama to Choco no doubt because they show the same patterns...but since they were not described and named from there..they should be labeled from the area they are found in...and I do thank Chris for not just saying the ones he brought back was Caquetaia Umbriferum. ..but he called them Gorillus black and gorillus blue...the reason why I mentioned green terrors for is because some say this is the true then they say naw this is the true then they find another that is nowhere in the vicinity or live amongst the Festae and say this is the true one just a lot of mix up and confusion...so it's no need to get bent out of shape cause I had kept Umbees too..i just did some research and had to put that out there to get what u guys thought on it..but in all actuality Panamanian Umbee is the first and true

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store