Round Goby in lake Erie

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I kill a lot of these, but it recently came to mind are these edible? I know most of them carry botulism from eating zebra mussels that kills birds but does that effect humans? Idea comes to mind since I'm sure a lot of people thought the same about snakeheads and those are delicious! I know goby is a common fish to eat in se Asia but don't know if these would fall under that group of goby

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
They are edible but it's illegal to bring them home....

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
To bring them home alive that is, your supposed to kill them and leave em on the bank, I'd just throw some bigger ones on ice after a quick bash to the head

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
To bring them home alive that is, your supposed to kill them and leave em on the bank, I'd just throw some bigger ones on ice after a quick bash to the head

It's also illegal to possess round goby, whenever its live or not. Also round gobies may be edible but they are a health hazard.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
On the Chicago lake front (Michigan) they are normally thrown on shore, Asians normally collect them for soup.....I catch a lot in the spring/summer but ice fishing in the harbor I haven't caught one....

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
wonder how they'd taste like fried up, dunno if bones r edible
I've wondered the same thing :)

i kill about 20 per fishing weekend when I go up here on my boat, worst part is they snag you under rocks :swear:

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I don't think eating round gobies are good idea. They are full of high levels of metals and PCB all from eating zebra mussels. That's lot of chemicals in tiny fish...

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
So reading up on this species am I correct in assuming there's more so fear of economic impact that ecological impact? From the facts I've read their main food is zebra mussels which is a good thing. They also provide forage for predators, smallmouth, lake trout, etc. Now the bad I read is they could transfer the toxins to game fish. Also they Make fishing for game fish harder since they are the first to take the baits and lures from anglers.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store