Rain Water

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
Does anyone use rain water in their tanks, or top off their tanks with rain water? If so how did this affect your fish? I'm curious how this would work. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr.Manaconda

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Rainwater topped off outdoor stock tank ponds I have had. Fish bred like rabbits in it.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I wouldn't be concerned with it for soft water fish if you live away from an urban area. Or were able to exclude the rain fall from the start of a rain to purge the air pollutants.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use rain water mixed with tap (to equalize temp) when I want t to initiate breeding.
Rain water does not contain anything that will help buffer pH or alkalinity though, so if you normally have pH swings you may need to double up on water changes with tap water besides (depending on what type fish you keep) or add buffers.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One other concern may be pollutants and debris in gutters or the roof.
For this I use a 2 barrel system, where the 1st barrel catches solids and junk that washes off the roof, and settles in that 1st barrel, allowing mostly cleaner rain water to overflow into the 2nd, which is where I take water for the tank.

I also soak driftwood in the rain barrel to remove tannins.

The 2nd barrel overflows into my pond during heavy rain events.

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
This is an awesome set up :) I'm def going to try and add a little rain water to my set ups.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Think of rain being Nature's washing machine for air. Then think combustion engines, industrial smokestacks and other exhausts.
All that will end up in your tank if you use rain water ...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store