Rays and magnets

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I use those Mag Float cleaners to clean the inside walls of my tank. I haven't noticed any reaction from the rays other than moving away from the cleaners. But they move away from anything foreing.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
I use those Mag Float cleaners to clean the inside walls of my tank. I haven't noticed any reaction from the rays other than moving away from the cleaners. But they move away from anything foreing.
+1

Sent from my C6606 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Ha, my black's are aggressive toward my magnet! They suction against it and dont let me clean the glass. i usually try to bump them with it to get them away, but once they get suction, i am screwed!

its a little game we play :)

Mr. Allgood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2012
Iowa
Magnets are supposed to repel sharks and rays but my rays don't seem to care. Maybe a bare magnet in the water would work better...

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Same here Jason,absolutely no reaction what so ever other than what you have pointed out. I keep 6 ray species all of which are isolated from one another and I haven't witnessed anything out of the ordinary over a 30 year period.

I use the same algae magnet as you also.....good aren't they!

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Magnetic barriers are proven effective against sharks, and some rays. It seems to impact ORV elasmobranchs much more than the benthic counterparts. It takes a much stronger field to distrupt a benthic animal.

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
Magnetic barriers are proven effective against sharks, and some rays. It seems to impact ORV elasmobranchs much more than the benthic counterparts. It takes a much stronger field to distrupt a benthic animal.
Good info zoodiver.
This explains why I haven't experienced any changes in behaviour by simply using an algae magnet albeit a very large one strong enough to penetrate 12 mm glass with ease.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I use a massive mag float that hold well on 19mm glass

Not sure if it has effected them

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store