Amazon Biotope Set-up Plans

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
I’m currently planning an Amazon biotope set-up, but I’m having trouble deciding what to stock it with. I have two plecos currently living with my turtles that will be included in the set-up. The dimensions will be 8’ x 4’ x 4’ (958 gallons), give or take the height. What would be some good choices to stock the aquarium with? I’m open to anything as long as it will get along with my plecos.

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
The store wasn’t very specific on the species, but they look to me like an albino common pleco and a sailfin pleco.

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
Arowana, rays, large group of Geos like altifrons, true parrots, rotkiel severums, notatus severums, uraus. Sky's the limit with that foot print!

Signature

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
Arowana, rays, large group of Geos like altifrons, true parrots, rotkiel severums, notatus severums, uraus. Sky's the limit with that foot print!

Signature
I really like the looks of the altifrons, would they work with some of the other species you mentioned?

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
To keep the biotope natural, I could put only one of the plecos in the tank and setup a smaller tank for the other one. If I do that, I'll probably put the sailfin pleco in the big tank. I like the idea of rays, but with the way I want to landscape the aquarium, I don't think there will be enough room for the ones I like.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
More catfish! You can always have more catfish :), and with a tank that size there's so many possibilities! Maybe an Achara or an Irwini, maybe a TSN, a Niger. There just so many awesome catfish out there so if you want any more catfish can you specify what you'd like to see in them or certain species you like. Oh yeah and some cichlids maybe as well, if you're going true amazon biotope with the low ph then you could do a medium sized semi aggressive community with some wild Altum angels, they're definitely one of the most beautiful cichlids out there.

Wolfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2014
Utah, USA
I considered catfish, I just couldn't find a species that doesn't get huge. There are several different species of cichlids that I'm considering, but I can't decide what species I want.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I considered catfish, I just couldn't find a species that doesn't get huge. There are several different species of cichlids that I'm considering, but I can't decide what species I want.
There's lots of cats that will never outgrow a tank of that size, once you have your other fish picked out I can suggest some nice cats that go along with the size of your other fish.

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
All the fish I mentioned should be fine together. Jaguar catfish are pretty cool and stay smaller. You must be heavily shaping to fill a large foot print like you have. Reticulated and hystrix rays don't need the foot print as others do. Just keep a species like rays I myself would keep ones that were not my first choice!

Signature

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store