Acestrorhynchus falcatus - Red Barracuda

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
My LFS got one of these in...and it looks bad ass! I've seen the plain silver barracuda, but not the red variant. Found some info on it and it seems like it would behave kinda like my odoe pike. Anyone here have any personal experience with this particular fish. It was about 5 inches long and 60 bucks. Is that a reasonable price? Thanks

Not actual fish, but this is what it looks like
Acestrorhynchus-falcatus-ER-2.jpg

Acestrorhynchus-falcatus-ER-2.jpg

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
They are a very nervous and skittish fish. They also need a long tank so they don't run into the glass when catching food. Amazing fish if you have a very large tank.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
They are a very nervous and skittish fish. They also need a long tank so they don't run into the glass when catching food. Amazing fish if you have a very large tank.
+1 they also do better in schools and are the most aggressive out of the barracudas. I've been lookin for them for a while but have only recently seen yellowtail barracudas and hujeta gars (fw barracudas).

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
They are highly piscivorous and can be a pita to get off of live as well. They top out at about a foot. They really are better suites to aquaria than most of the bigger silver tooth fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I've tried these guys several times with really no success. Of the 5 species of cudas I've owned/still own these were the most sickly fish I've ever had - you cough, they get ick and die in a day. Also could never get them off of live foods. For me yellowtails and minimus were the easiest.

jschneid3482

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2014
Georgia
in my experience they are very hardy, Ive seen 1 cases of ick and it cleared overnight. Mainly i lose cudas do to they slamming into the glass or when they feed one will get its tail bite off and get fin root and die from that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store