Red Claw Crabs and snails

robert.mccook.elm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
California
Does anyone know if red claw crabs will kill nerite snails? i know they have a tendency to be on the aggressive side so i just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience keep snails with those crabs.

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
My experiences with crabs were that of a noob and ill advised. I have not tried again as I have a type of nerite that 1) I do not know the species 2) I can not find another like it and 3) is a good algae buster because it's big ( compared to the other tiny nerites I've seen for sale). After looking over some posts some say yes the crabs will make snack over snails and some say no. Personally, I fear the crab would eat it. Hopefully, some else can pitch some advise here.

Sent from my C771 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
I really wanted to try another one, but I'm thinking the freshwater lionfish would eat it, or worse yet, just crack its shell and leave it.

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
I'm know nothing about crabs. Do they use their claws like loach uses it snout, reaching in tight quarters. I have lost some fish to past crabs when the lights go out, but in my ignorance, I figured it out when I saw a crab scuttling through tank carrying a serpae tetra like a slice of bread.

robert.mccook.elm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2013
California
yea crabs can be great. they do a great job at being a clean up crew. they eat things from the sand and from the rocks. they pretty much spend all day scavenging for food. if you get the right ones they are great. if you are worried they will kill your fish get some fiddler crabs. they are very peaceful and non aggressive towards fish. i had 4 for some time and i loved them until my butis butis decided they would make for a great snack. ;). so because of that i got the red claw crabs because they have a lot more fight in them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store