need help on building a plywood 360 gal tank and filtration

smaller n stronger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2012
Canada
Ok so I am planning out a 360 gal plywood tank build (this is my first build and first sump) I am planning on building a 360 gal plywood tank that measures 76"x36"x32" (would go 36" tall but then i cant fit it through the door) and I am planning on having it on a stand that is 28" tall MAX to give me an overall height of 5'.

For the tank I am thinking of using 1" plywood and 1" acrylic (to keep weight lower) and drilling the acrylic to bolt it to the tank for a stronger seal, and I am planning on using black pond armor to water proof the inside of the tank. Not too sure if the wood will be thick enough so please chime in if its not.

My questions for the build of the tank would be how do i determine how big to cut the hole for my viewing panel and how much overlap i want with the acrylic and plywood? Then how much external bracing with 2x4's should i need? Lastly for the lid how would i keep evaporation down well still letting light in and having easy access to the tank? I was thinking of making a canopy with lighting built in and having front opening doors (like some pet shops have)

For the stand I don't want it to exceed 28" was thinking of building it out of 2x4 and 4x4 (not exactly sure how to build it to withstand the weight yet I am still looking at other big tank stand builds) so please chime in and give your 2 cents on how it could be done because I don't think copying the stand for my 90 gal on a bigger scale will work.

Next is filtration
my biggest fear for the build and the part I am absolutely clueless about! the filtration will need to be big enough to filter the water at around 5000 gph I am guessing. Filtration needs to be effective and be able to fit in the stand as well as at least semi quiet or be able to run in the stand once its sound proofed. 3 options hit my mind right now and they are wet dry, fluidized bed, and having the sump with the intake on one end and having the water flow through the media to the other end to the pump to pump it back to the tank. (not sure if that is possible.)

Stock is undetermined yet but will more then likely be a shoal tank with 1 or 2 Piraya for sure and something else either tern (if possible) or 1 or 2 carbia or 1 or 2 natts

Sorry for the long read that is mostly questions but building a tank is something I have wanted to do for quite a bit now and it will be the best way for me to learn how to do this stuff for if i ever build another tank or sump again.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Why don't you just build it where you want it so you don't have to worry about it fitting through doors? That's one of the advantages of building it. Build it right where you want it and then you can make is the size that you exactly want.

If you're like me, this would haunt you forever, regrets on not doing something the way you wanted when you could have.

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
For the overlap of the acrylic window you should go for a minimum of 3". Any less any the acrylic could bend out of the frame. As far as the rest of the build goes there's lots of info here.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store