Anybody keep Black Lancers?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I was at my LFS the other day and they had an awesome black lancer catfish in a a 50 breeder with peacock cichlids, some clown loaches, and a few porthole cats. I was lucky enough to find a diurnal asian bumblebee catfish (which is now in my 30 tall community) but the black lancer there was pretty active as well! It was about 4.5-5" and was priced at $47.75, is this a good price considering it's a fairly rare catfish and it's at this size? I'm revamping my 75 partially so I figured this would be the perfect time to grab a nice new catfish if there ever was one, oh wait that would be all the time so Nevermind :). Anyways my 75 currently has 6 giant danios, 1 striped raphael catfish, 1 gibbiceps pleco (grow out), and 2 cutteri cichlids in it. I'm planning on selling the cutteri since they are breeding and terrorizing the other inhabitants that are in a square foot if their fry and I'll probably replace them with 4 or 5 angels in addition to a medium sized catfish (lancer). Would there be any downside to doing this catfish? All my danios are 2.5-3", my raph is about 4" and my pleco is about 4.5-5". I don't really have any other hiding spots in there now for the lancer but I've got some WIDE PVC I could sand the edges on and I could pick some new decor up. So who out there has kept this fish, what's your experience with it, and would you recommend one for me? Thanks!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Reactions: Fishy-Botany

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Have a link on my pc on a site that had harlequin lancer not sure if they still do...though will post it later

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Sounds like they're pretty rare then! I'd get it tomorrow but I still have my cutteri cichlids and I dont think they'd tolerate another bottom feeder frying to eat their eggs. On a completely seperate note, does anyone know of any CA or SA cichlids I could breed that don't get overly aggressive when breeding and if possible mouthbrood? I'd like to get that lancer but I'd also like to keep breeding some type of cichlids (solution=I need more tanks. But I'm not made of money or electric :))

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store