Making a brackish pond?

Eros44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2014
Mississauga
I've recently finished renovating my long abandoned 500 gallon koi pond and decided I would like to try brackish. However the only problem I have is that I live in Canada and it gets pretty cold ( although wouldn't the salt make the water warmer?) and I'm not extremely familiar with temperate species although for sure I would like to get some european sea bass and some mosquitofish. So in summary would this be able to work or would it fail miserably?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've never heard of salt affecting water temperature and I'm not sure which brackish fish would be easily visible when looked down on in a pond besides pufferfish.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
A brackish pond won't work very well if it was kept outside. It will fail miserably.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Saltwater doesn't freeze at the same temperature as fresh. Also the water would be crystal clear.
I wasn't referring to the clarity of the water but the shape of the fish.When you look down on them their bodies are not somewhat squat like a koi and some catfish which is part of what makes them good pond fish as opposed to most tropical fish....their viewability,if that's a word.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
This would be very interesting to see . Even though its a iffy project . I would try it out . start with not so expensive fish and make sure you have room in the winter . Good luck

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
This would be very interesting to see . Even though its a iffy project . I would try it out . start with not so expensive fish and make sure you have room in the winter . Good luck
Nope it won't work, the brackish water will not stay stable.

Eros44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2014
Mississauga
Nope it won't work, the brackish water will not stay stable.

Aren't there there brackish ponds in nature? They work even in areas of high precipitation. And wouldn't brackish water fish be able to adapt to changing salinities especially the sea bass which from my knowledge run up into freshwater to spawn.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Aren't there there brackish ponds in nature? They work even in areas of high precipitation. And wouldn't brackish water fish be able to adapt to changing salinities especially the sea bass which from my knowledge run up into freshwater to spawn.
And to my knowledge, a 500gal is too small for a single sea bass, let alone the stock you mentioned. You will spend your time to check on salinity level in the pond almost daily and it takes one rain day that will change the salinity level.

Eros44

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2014
Mississauga
And to my knowledge, a 500gal is too small for a single sea bass, let alone the stock you mentioned. You will spend your time to check on salinity level in the pond almost daily and it takes one rain day that will change the salinity level.

The pond itslf is about 5-6 ft deep 7 ft in length and 6 feet in width. The sea bass are out. Is there anything hardy enough that could survive in the pond and rapidly fluctuating salinities

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store