How level is level

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Setting up my 220 I got it level left to right but front to back it's a lil off if I use my level the bubble is still between the lines just slightly more to one side how bad is this?

Also how can I increase my flow rate in my overflow? Once the water is in the overflow it's fine just going through the teeth of the overflow it seems slow

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Setting up my 220 I got it level left to right but front to back it's a lil off if I use my level the bubble is still between the lines just slightly more to one side how bad is this?
Without seeing it or the level, it's impossible to say. Assuming the reading is accurate, however, as you said, it's not level. You can "test" it, by shimming the bottom of the stand all along the low side. Generally speaking, if it takes less than a 1/4" shim all along the low side, it's already pretty close. Leaving it with no shims might be fine, but personally, I'd make the shims permanent because it's cheap, easy and I like perfection!

If you need more than 1/2", it's well past where most will want to fill the tank. Using my own carpenter's level, that sounds like you could be off by a little over 1/4", but obviously that is not as good an estimate as you doing it yourself since I don't know how much "slightly more to one side is". Most folks will say that 1/4" is about where you want to worry.

On the other hand, if you have less than perfect glass, or glass that is on the thin side, or very rough and tumble kids around, I'd go for perfectly level as much as possible.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Its not too bad but when I was leveling my 220 it was a pain.. Its on wavy concrete and I didnt want to take any chances with 1900 pounds of water alone. I had the same problem, I got the right/left perfect but the back needed to go up about 1/8th of an inch. If your tank is newer than its perfectly fine, mine however was an older tank with sketchy silicone so I took the extra time to make sure it was perfectly level.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I phone app! I have no clue how accurate the app is but I personally wouldnt trust it. Theres a pretty big difference in a 1 foot level and a 6 foot level. I would think from this the I phone is very inaccurate, but maybe they compensated for this? No clue but I personally would get a 6 foot level as they will give a more accurate measure as they span a larger area. If a 6 foot level is too large or a tad bit over kill for you a 4 foot level will work just as well.

As you stated it is an acrylic tank I wouldnt worry about it being ever so slightly off level but I wouldnt trust the i phone app lol!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
^ perfect way, but just make sure the wood is straight too lol!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am not sure every one is being on the level with you.:ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store