240 Gallon Solely Filtered By Sponges-Can It Be Done?

Ensorcelled

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2013
Texas
Just as my topic title says, I am curious to know if anyone out there is filtering a huge tank solely with sponge filtration aka Hydor V's etc. The plan for the tank is going to be a heavily stocked Lake Tanganyika tank.

Thoughts?

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I saw a guy on YouTube that had all his tanks filtered with only sponge filters but his largest were 150's and they were by no means heavily stocked. Since yours is gonna be heavily stocked I wouldn't recommend it. You'll have to do a lot of wc's since sponges are pretty useless when it comes to mechanical filtration

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You can probably do well using a couple of pond size sponge filters. They're rated for small ponds. The sponges require .25 CFM of air to operate properly. That volume of air will move quite a bit of water. 2 of these sponges will take up less of a footprint than a bunch of smaller aquarium sponges. I used 1 in a 100gal tropheus tank. I liked that their fry could graze on food from the surface of the sponge.

pondspongefilter.jpg

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Now that's a sponge filter!! ^^^^

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
The only negative is that cichlids tend to eat the sponge. You might have to replace it every year or so. Sponges are greajt filters.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Sponge is still one of the best filter materials out there.

Monster fishkeepers in Germany still swear by them and want nothing else.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Sure - almost all of my tanks are exclusively filtered with air-driven sponge (and box) filters. I'd add some boxes for mechanical filtration.

Another approach would be to use Poret foam with air.

Matt

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
You can keep very healthy fish with sponge filters alone, but sponges aren't appealing in a show tank. Without mechanical filtration, you need to do more frequent water changes to remove destritus and suspended solids, or else the water will be perennially cloudy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store