Glo fish-everywhere!

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Every LFS in my area seems to be stocking up on these things, because they have become very popular. One store owner told me he they sell well, so he has to pass on rare fish, because of space. Anyone else seeing this?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
They are popular because of high demand and they are popular with kids. It's perfect way to get younger kids in our hobby and become addicting to the hobby. Not mentioned that some strains of glofish are very hardy and will do well in room temperatures.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
It's been this way for a few years now. They are small, colorful, and fit into what most people keep - so yes, it makes perfect sense.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Speaking of pacus, I hasn't see any baby pacu for sale at any LFS I went to. The last one I saw was probably 3-4 years ago.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
They are popular because of high demand and they are popular with kids. It's perfect way to get younger kids in our hobby and become addicting to the hobby. Not mentioned that some strains of glofish are very hardy and will do well in room temperatures.
It's been this way for a few years now. They are small, colorful, and fit into what most people keep - so yes, it makes perfect sense.
I guess my LFSs are behind the times lol. Yes I can see why they would be good for kids, but what about everyone else?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
I'd rather see LFS packed with glofish than RTC, Pacu.
I agree. Fish like that are way too big, and need to be sold to people who can house them properly.

It just gets annoying when you can't even find common cichlids. Firemouths used to be abundant in my area and finally after months of search I finally found one. Even my local Pet Smart has cut out almost all of their CA/SA cichlids. Thank God they don't sell Pacu there anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store