"Mini" Motoro Stingrays?

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
I have been hearing more and more about something called a "mini" motoro stingray. I trust this forum about more than I trust anywhere else. And so I ask... are they real, and does anyone here have them? And if they are real, what is their max size? Thanks!

-Rich

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I have too many to not believe..... lol

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive also seen them listed once in jeff rapps stock list and hes very reputable. If he had mermaids on his stock list id believe it haha

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
DB Junkie, you actually own them? For how long? What is their max size? Thanks!

-Rich
I have a male and female that have been with me for guessing around 6 years. Male was mature when he arrived at 7" is about 9" now. Female arrived at about 6" and she's probably 11" now. Have a few others but they haven't been here as long...... Have had a wild caught female arrive preggo and give birth at 8.5".

Not saying there aren't smaller Motoros, but all mine are Marbles.

I've listened to the non believers for years trying to tell me they're stunted or not taken care of properly, I could care less what they say, I've had these rays long enough and watched my other rays outgrow them that I'm comfortable drawing my own conclusion.......

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
I am a believer!!! I have a 9" male that is fully rolled and has really slowed down growing, but still a big eater!!!

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Whoa. This is astonishing to me. Are they expensive? Would a male be compatible in a 6 ft. 150 along with a male hystrix (no female rays), or would a separate tank be better? I'm not about to go jump on one, but I might have a local source, but I want to make sure this is real before I jump out there. Thanks!

-Rich

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Whoa. This is astonishing to me. Are they expensive? Would a male be compatible in a 6 ft. 150 along with a male hystrix (no female rays), or would a separate tank be better? I'm not about to go jump on one, but I might have a local source, but I want to make sure this is real before I jump out there. Thanks!

-Rich

Be careful with a local source...to my knowledge there is no difinitive way to tell if a marble will stay small other then when it stops growing,

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
Be careful with a local source...to my knowledge there is no difinitive way to tell if a marble will stay small other then when it stops growing,
Ahh... thanks. The first warning sign I needed. There was a claim this person breeds them. But maybe I misunderstood, and they meant breeds motoros in general. I will seek clarification. Thanks for the heads up!

-Rich

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store