Increase water flow in overflow

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So my tanks set up my water is level I turn on the pump and it's too fast the water rises a good inch and hits the top of the tank is there a way to increase the water flow through the over flow? Do I have to cut out a couple teeth? Or do I have to put a valve on the pump to slow it down? And would slowing it down hurt the pump?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I broke out the teeth in my old 500g. I replaced it with a plastic mesh type stuff and it flowed much better. Depending on your tools and skills you could try to widen the gap between the teeth or maybe take out every other one. Good news is they should snap right off relatively easily

Lgw

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Instead of restricting the flow from the pump, you can bleed the excess water back I to the sump.

I use a t piece off the input with a ball valve allowing me to adjust how much I bleed back to the sump :)

chopsteeks

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
Denver
Instead of restricting the flow from the pump, you can bleed the excess water back I to the sump.

I use a t piece off the input with a ball valve allowing me to adjust how much I bleed back to the sump :)
Hmmmm, might try that one

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So what's a better option? Having the water flow back into sump? Or increase the amount the overflow can take in? I see ups to the increase the overflow flow more flow = more turn over rate which = better filtration I'm just lost as to why I didn't have this problem last time my tank was setup

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
What kind of overflow do you have? Depending on your style overflow you can try this. This is what I did and to what part of the overflow. I got the pvc tube that determines the water height of the box out side of the tank and shortened it and it works perfectly. (Careful not to shorten it too much or you will never have suction and need a new piece of pvc)

I had the exact same problem as both pvc tubes that extent up weren't being fully submerged leading to reduced flow. To test this just play with the overflow box's pvc pipes that dictate the water flow. Remove it completely and see if it can handle the flow. If you remove the pvc tubes and the U tube looses suction then you can just shorten it and achieve your desired flow rate.

But if it loses suction you might overflow the tank so keep the sump with less water so the pump runs dry or make sure you can turn off the pump in time. It would be helpful as what gph pump you have and the overflow drain sizes! But shortening the pvc tubes usually works for all the overflow's I have, I even had to add some more U tubes to compensate for the flow. the cheap way I do it is just use flexible 3/4 inch tubing but one factory plastic U tube can handle around 600gph if I'm not mistaken.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
There's no PVC pipes in my box just a box that leads to a drain my problem isn't the drain it drains as much water as put into it my problem is the teeth on the overflow box block water flow thus my pump pumps more water then my overflow takes in

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store