Would this be alright for a tank.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm getting a 15 or a 20 gallon in a few days and I'm pretty sure the spot I picked out will be good but I'm just going to double check. It's going to be on a kitchen counter above the cupboard where we keep our pots. It'll also be about 1.5-2 feet from my toaster oven and microwave vent though. Now neither one of these produce much heat to the point were you could feel it that far away at least not for the amount of time we have them on. I also worry because the top of the tank is a foot away from our pantry cupboards and I fear he evaporation would rot them out. What do you guys think will this be an ok spot? I'm either doing a reef tank or native minnows and shiner (I already got the talk about how the natives need cooler temps, I got it so don't worry about heat other than the toaster oven).

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
at room temp or cooler I wouldn't worry too much about evaporation. If the appliances are on a GFCI circuit I wouldn't worry about the toaster or microwave being close by either.
Alright good, I think the whole kitchen is on one circuit. The nice thing about the spot my tank is going in (if it's going to be native) is there's a little break in the vents below it so it stays cooler than the rest if the house in the summer and warmer in the winter :).

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Two things:

1) when people design kitchens they 'typically' do so with specific ideas of how they will be used.

2) it's unlikely that counter was designed to hold 200 lbs of water and those cabinets were designed to sit above 200 lbs of warm water.

3) the doors to the cabinets above and below would not have needed to be designed with a lot of tolerance, so even a small amount of warpage could affect them.

Now that doesn't mean it won't be fine. It just means that if it is fine, it would be by chance. The people building it would not have needed larger screws (or perhaps screws at all), thicker wood or stronger supports for that weight (as they do underneath bathtubs) and the cabinets would not have needed to be water-proofed or mold-proofed (as walls are in bathrooms.)

I would consider reinforcing the counter top and covering the cabinets with water repellant. I might even consider moving it a bit to the right (about 10 inches) and placing lumber support directly underneath the counter. You'd have more support, more space above the tank, and less effect on cabinets above and below.

But if by chance, you don't have to, than excellent.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
2) it's unlikely that counter was designed to hold 200 lbs of water and those cabinets were designed to sit above 200 lbs of warm water.
You've never stood on top of a kitchen counter and you've never boiled water in a kitchen? ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
You've never stood on top of a kitchen counter and you've never boiled water in a kitchen? ;)
Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
1) http://timber.ce.wsu.edu/Supplements/LoadDuration/ Quoting from the source:

"Another of these properties is duration of load. This is the ability of wood to resist higher stresses when loads are applied for a short duration of time. In other words, wood has a higher strength when a load is applied instantaneously than it does when the load is applied for a long period of time."

Loads that are instantaneous, like getting on top of a kitchen counter, are not the same as loads that are constant, like putting 200 lbs of water on top of a kitchen counter for a year.

2) As for the issue of humidity in the kitchen, it's an empirical question for the OP. If the kitchen is already borderline, this is an issue. If not, it's fine. Whether or not I boil water in my kitchen has nothing to do with OPs kitchen since we all have different local humidities to deal with.

zapantha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2012
American Canyon
Me and a buddy have had a 28 gallon tank on the kitchen counter/island for over a year. But I guess building material strength could vary. Btw it's more around 110-160 for a 15-20 gallon. That extra 50 lbs less can you help you feel a lot safer I guess haha.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store