Tankmate suggestions

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
First of all, the tank is a 4'x2'x2' 120 gallon.

Fish are:
1x 10" flagtail
5x 4" spotted silver dollars
3x 4" clown loaches
2x 5-6" clown loaches
2x 7" clown loaches

Filtration:
1 AC110 with large pothos plant
1 AC110 with double sponge
1 Marineland C-360 filled with bio media

I have the loaches on the bottom, silver dollars in the middle, and the flagtail all over the tank. I'd like something that would stay toward the top of the tank. I do have a 7'x2' 210 gallon sitting in the garage, but realistically it probably won't be set up for a couple years. So, any suggestions for fish for the top of the tank?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I have a 12-13" flagtail in my 6' 225 and he looks huge in there, I have a hard time picturing a 10" flagtail in a 4' 120. I love the stocking though! Pics?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Top fish... Upside down cat fish. butterfly fish... But go small man, your well stocked on this set up!

x2 Pics!

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I have a 12-13" flagtail in my 6' 225 and he looks huge in there, I have a hard time picturing a 10" flagtail in a 4' 120. I love the stocking though! Pics?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Top fish... Upside down cat fish. butterfly fish... But go small man, your well stocked on this set up!

x2 Pics!
I just got the flagtail back from a friend last weekend. After taking a closer look I'd say it's probably closer to 9". But yes a 4' tank is probably pushing it, but it is working quite well at this point. I don't have current pics because I just sold a few fish and replaced them with the flagtail. I'll try to get some pics tonight though. Would i have to worry about my current stock bothering something small like a school of tetras or Danios? I also have a powerhead in the tank. Could a school of smaller fish handle all the current?

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
I'd say your pretty well stocked as it is. I know how it is with a flagtail I had one in my 50 that outgrew the tank hated to give it away coolest fish ever. Lips inc... LOL The clown loaches will get to a foot but grow very slow but I wouldn't add anymore; love to see a pic with old lips inc..

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I'd say your pretty well stocked as it is. I know how it is with a flagtail I had one in my 50 that outgrew the tank hated to give it away coolest fish ever. Lips inc... LOL The clown loaches will get to a foot but grow very slow but I wouldn't add anymore; love to see a pic with old lips inc..
I've had the clown loaches for a few years now and they grow REALLY slow lol, so not too concerned about them growing too much and increasing the bio load. That said, they already fill up the bottom nicely so definitely don't want more of them. Flagtails are super cool fish. It's crazy how big of a tank you need for such a small fish. Between their slow growth rate and my tank being in a low traffic area to keep his flighty behavior down, I'm hoping to make it work til I can set up the 7 footer.

You could do BA tertas. They love the current in my big tank
Do they stay toward the top of the tank? Just not looking to add anything that won't be toward the top. Was tossing around the idea of giant danios or Congo tetras. Not sure where the congo tetras tend to stay though. That, and not sure if they'd look right with the rest of the stock. With all this said, if I don't find something small for the top portion that goes with what I have I will be content with not adding anything. Just thought I'd get some opinions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store