white specks visible in tank

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
ive seen someone post about this before. I just received my LED light now I see all the white specks in the tank. no not ICH. mostly around the exit of the filters. but there tons of them! and its kind of ugly to look at. can it be fixed ? how?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Items which are individually visible to the naked eye are at least 40 micron (although smoke is much smaller, it takes a large amount to notice and then only as a haze.) If you filter with 100 micron or less, it should clog enough to begin reducing the visible particles. 50 micron or less would do the trick faster.

Of course this assumes the particles are inert. For example, if the amount seems to dwindle until the next feeding, it's likely food particles.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Pics? Is it floating on the top? Freshwater or salt? Sometimes salts will do this if they've sat for a while, particularly instant ocean. It should go away if it's salt though.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Pics? Is it floating on the top? Freshwater or salt? Sometimes salts will do this if they've sat for a while, particularly instant ocean. It should go away if it's salt though.
Freshwater tank. Its mainly in the current of the filters. I'll try to take pic

Sent from my LGMS769 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Raise the water level of your tank so the filter output flow 'drops' below the water surface. This should reduce the amount of air bubbles you are seeing.

Cookie*

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Northern NJ
mocoloco.com
I don't think they're air bubbles the poster is talking about. I get the same thing on my heaters (I don't use HOB filters, just sponges for now). If I'm not mistaken it's just calcium buildup, which is easily removed with a vinegar/water solution. Just rinse off the filter intake thoroughly after washing it with the vinegar/water mix. I believe all the bubbles your filter is making, is speeding the calcification process up by creating all those air bubbles, but couldn't speak to that with any certainty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store