Starting over after parasites hit hard

Uaru

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2011
USA
Starting over a 55g growout tank after being hit hard with parasites. I want to make SURE they arent hanging around just waiting for another host. Using all the same media, substrate, decor, etc. What's the best way to do this? Will flushing the tank and filters with untreated tap water kill the parasites off or do I need to let everything dry out completely?

Thanks for any help.

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
I would dry out completely for a few days just to be on the safe side. wouldn't hurt to bleach stuff either and then let dry out and declorinate extra when you set up again .

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I would dry out completely for a few days just to be on the safe side. wouldn't hurt to bleach stuff either and then let dry out and declorinate extra when you set up again .
+1 This is my approach: Fill entire tank to the top with water and add about 6 cups of bleach, and then soak all equipment in that water as well for at least 24 hours. Rinse everything really well. Refill tank as before but this time instead of bleach, add triple the recommended dose of dechlorinator, and again also soak all the equipment. Wait at least 24 hours, then rinse again. Now the tank and equipment should be well disinfected, bleach free and ready to go. GL

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Parasites are of many varieties. Some will perish with no host, some will die if dried out or with heat, some will die with chlorine or salt. An adequate bleach solution is probably the one that will take out the majority however. Use plenty of dechlorinator when you are done.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store