Collecting wild plants

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
Is it safe to collect native species of aquatic plants from local creeks, rivers and lakes for aquarium use as long as they are cleaned well?

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Just make sure you're within the legal guidelines

Briggadane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I just battled columnaris after using some driftwood. I had boiled it for a few hours first. I cant say it was carried by the driftwood, but if your going to use stuff from local water, I think I would into how to minimize risk if putting it into your tank. My $.02

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I agree, there are all kinds of bacteria, and other parasites (including Lernaea and predatory dragonfly larvae) that don't simply rinse off.
Making a dip for plants of aluminum sulfate or potassium permanganate can help to remove many problems.
I bring in plants from my pond in winter every year, and after a time noticed young fish disappearing in a grow out tank, wasn't easy to find the culprit in the plants.

I just battled columnaris after using some driftwood. I had boiled it for a few hours first. I cant say it was carried by the driftwood, but if your going to use stuff from local water, I think I would into how to minimize risk if putting it into your tank. My $.02

NickoT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2014
Dtown
I collected these this morning soaked them in near boiling hot water, added fish parasite and disease treatment chemicals to the tub they are in and uve also washed off all algae and debri with a pressure washer. Should this species be safe in my setups considering no parasites or diseases are introduced?

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
I agree, there are all kinds of bacteria, and other parasites (including Lernaea and predatory dragonfly larvae) that don't simply rinse off.
Making a dip for plants of aluminum sulfate or potassium permanganate can help to remove many problems.
I bring in plants from my pond in winter every year, and after a time noticed young fish disappearing in a grow out tank, wasn't easy to find the culprit in the plants.

Wow! is that a nymph?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store