Deworming flowerhorn

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I've had this flowerhorn a few months and he's been doing great until about a week ago. He stopped eating and became lethargic. He also had the stringy white poop. Since I started treating with prazi, he's been non stop turding. It's been 3 days already and he's still having stringy poop. How long should I expect this to last? Was considering doing oral epson but would rather not stress him more, would that make thing pass faster? Anyhow thNks for any input, this is by far my favorite wet pet.
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1397914107.284430.jpg
Photo from this morning...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JK Monster Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
socal
I always boil frozen peas and add aquarium salt. That usually works for me but let some other members chime in too

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
This might be a tangent, but at my saltwater LFS I recently saw some frozen mysis shrimp with praziquantel in it for deworming. It was about $20 for about a 8" x 6" flat pack. It's nice to have something pre-mixed, especially when it's a palatable frozen food! I'm probably gonna buy one just in case my fish have worms. They say about 75% of wild-caught saltwater fish come in with one worm or another.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Thanks for the advice everyone. This guy doesn't eat peas for some reason. Even unshelled pieces, unlike my ranchu that gobble them down like candy. I think the prazi is working but I was surprised to see the amount and size of worms coming out of him. I'm just wondering how much more are in there. Asides from that he seems a bit more active. I will look into the prazi infused mysis shrimp, sounds like something I'd like to have in stock.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Yesterday this guy finally stopped $#\+|ng. But this morning ...ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1398017665.577571.jpg

I'm just doing prazi and epson. Can anyone id this type of worm? Should I be doing metro as well? If so do I do it at the same time?

I tried googling photos of worms but no luck with id.
Btw he's starting to act normal again, sorta.

Cliff519

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2010
Canada
Maybe just let the Prazi-Pro run it's course before dosing other meds. I have found that sometimes it takes a few days (close to a week) to truly be effective

I never have been a big fan of using more than one med at a time.

Just my experiences tho

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
Thanks for the input, I'll let the prazi run it's course and retreat. I'm just impatient and worried is all. It seems like my favorite fish are always the one's to catch a bug. The carnival goldfish the kid brought home is indestructible and I've slowly grown to appreciate him. Anyhow I wish he ate more, it would probably help clear things out.

Eric thanks for the comment. My buddy went crazy on aquabid and received more than he had space for to my benefit. Swapped a L25 for him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store