DIY Truck Bed Liner For Ply Tanks?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I am seriously considering building a large (1000+ gal) plywood tank in about 2 years from now. A thought occurred to me today about the possibility of using those DIY truck bed liners for waterproofing. I figured those liner kits are pretty cheap, applies easily (from what I've heard), and are durable and flexible. Of course my main concern would be toxin leaching into the water. I'm think of building a small 30gal plywood tank using this as the liner and testing out on some feeder goldfish and see what happens for the next couple of years.

Anyone has heard of the same idea or even tried it? Any thoughts/comments?

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
I wouldn't risk it. There are affordable epoxy resins made specifically for aquatics which are fish safe. Max ACR Epoxy Resin is probably one of the best. The company that manufacturers it even has tutorials on how to build plywood aquariums.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
A company name triton makes a somewhat similar product proven to be safe called wetsuit. It is actually a roof sealing material, but appears to be very skmilar to spray in bed liner. I havent used it myself in an aquarium but have seen it upclose on roofs

LSUFireGal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2014
Houston, TX
I wouldn't use it. Potential leaching aside it isn't designed to stick to wood. I have seen it crack and peel off when applied correctly so I wouldn't use it on wood that will expand and contract.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store