Flow rate importance

pigman723

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2012
GA
Hello as yall know i ve had some isssues with my tank. Well as off a week ago i fixed it. I added another 110 gallon stock tank in the back and increase the pump out put to 12 amps. In short no more hair algea.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I don't understand how filter socks are effective when they are on their side.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Lol at the socks and pad. Had too. At that stage, they really are not filtering anything.

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
So much water bypass, good lord! An easy fix to that is use a sterilite tote, one big enough to fit over your trickle filter and drill it full of holes so that it becomes your drip plate. Buy a micron filter pad (I use 50 micron) line the entire bottom of it and run your PVC pipes into it. Not only is it a great mechanical filter (replaces the socks) it also gives you a nice place to put chemical media if you would need to :)

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
So much water bypass, good lord! An easy fix to that is use a sterilite tote, one big enough to fit over your trickle filter and drill it full of holes so that it becomes your drip plate. Buy a micron filter pad (I use 50 micron) line the entire bottom of it and run your PVC pipes into it. Not only is it a great mechanical filter (replaces the socks) it also gives you a nice place to put chemical media if you would need to :)
Im a visual person , do you have a pic available that shows what your describing ? I'm trying to see if I could utilize this approach?

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Here is a small video showing my filter setup you can kind of get the just of it from the video.
[video=youtube;pXtSoYs4ERA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXtSoYs4ERA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store