Is there a current list of species banned to import anywhere?

Blue Crab of PAIN!!!!

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2009
Buffalo NY
Quick question.

Is there any list that is *currently* in effect that cites all of the species that are blacklisted for importation?

I ask this because I found a website that sells two small species of freshwater crabs.
The store is located in Germany, but they are able to export various livestock to the USA.

The problem is that I'm pretty sure that this species was banned from importation to the US after a bunch of them nearly became an established species in California [they were marketed as Sawagani for sushi-shops]. The thing is, I can't find any law or legislation anywhere that actually states that these crabs are not allowed. I've just read that they are, but nothing official.

The specific crabs are in the genus Geothelphusa
I'm not sure if they banned specific species or if they did a general genus-ban.

I personally don't have interest in these species.
I do, however, have interest in a much larger species of crab that this shop offers. It would cost about or over $200 to get the crabs over here, and I don't want to do all of that to suddenly find out that the US government will tell me that it is illegal.

Thank you all for your help!

Blue Crab of PAIN!!!!

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2009
Buffalo NY
I might be having a stroke or something and have missed something extremely obvious, but all I currently see is a list of restrictions by state.

This is certainly very useful info, but I'm more concerned about a potential federal issue.

The species in question is Gecarcoidea lalandii.
As far as I can tell, its not listed under CITES,the Lacey act, the invasive species act, or anything else. I'm still not 100% sure though.

badassissimo

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Mansfield, Louisiana, U.S.A.
Check with wildlife fishieries then. they'll know. Just don't mention a common name that matches a profile like phirana or snakehead. they'll say no.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The only federal regulations I can find concerning crabs lists only 2 species banned for importation and possession. They are the Chinese Mitten crab and the European Green crab.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store