First Bichir!

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Hi guys just picked up my first bichir and he/she is awesome! Wondering if I can get an ID pretty sure its an Endli but not positive as I don't have much experience with them. Please feel free to give suggestions and comments on owning a bichir. Thanks!

IMG_20140419_190732.jpgIMG_20140419_190838.jpg

IMG_20140419_190732.jpg

IMG_20140419_190838.jpg

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Yep endli! I love them. As far as suggestions, lots of wc's of at least 50%, feed as much as they can eat, try to make the diet as varied as possible, keep the water in the low 80's and enjoy. They grow fast too.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Yep endli! I love them. As far as suggestions, lots of wc's of at least 50%, feed as much as they can eat, try to make the diet as varied as possible, keep the water in the low 80's and enjoy. They grow fast too.

Ok so I do 40% a week on my tank, and its set at 80 so I think im good. He shares his tank with some cichlids, can he eat hikari bio gold and blood worms? I also have a small bag of sinking carnivore pellets as well.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Sinking carnivore are for them I think, I know massivore are and I can't tell the difference. Water changes depend on a lot of things, I do ginormous water changes daily.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Ok so I do 40% a week on my tank, and its set at 80 so I think im good. He shares his tank with some cichlids, can he eat hikari bio gold and blood worms? I also have a small bag of sinking carnivore pellets as well.
what kind of cichlids and what sizes? Depending on how big they are or will get they might end up as a treat for the endli.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
what kind of cichlids and what sizes? Depending on how big they are or will get they might end up as a treat for the endli.
Yes I did think about this before hand though. The Endli is about 9in and he with a 6in jack dempsey, 8in festae, and 10 in oscar. I dont think he could swallow any of these guys as they are much bigger.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Yes I did think about this before hand though. The Endli is about 9in and he with a 6in jack dempsey, 8in festae, and 10 in oscar. I dont think he could swallow any of these guys as they are much bigger.
Ya those guys get pretty big so they'll most likely be fine. The festae or JD might harass it a little since they're pretty territorial but I had a 12" manguensis with my, at the time, 12" endli and that thing was always harassing the endli and the endli wasn't phased at all by it. I could tell it would get annoyed though cuz it would just be chillin and out of nowhere it was being pushed around.

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Ya those guys get pretty big so they'll most likely be fine. The festae or JD might harass it a little since they're pretty territorial but I had a 12" manguensis with my, at the time, 12" endli and that thing was always harassing the endli and the endli wasn't phased at all by it. I could tell it would get annoyed though cuz it would just be chillin and out of nowhere it was being pushed around.

Yes was a little worried about that with my Festae but from what I understand Endlis are pretty tuff with their scales and aren't very phased.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Yes was a little worried about that with my Festae but from what I understand Endlis are pretty tuff with their scales and aren't very phased.
most polys are like that which makes them very hardy and able to withstand nippy tank mates

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store