29 gallon supply list

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
Didn't think I would be posting here ever... yet here I am :D

I am looking for a nice SW interactive and interesting FOWLR setup centered around 1 or a pair of fish. Through research and asking around I have come up with 2 possible combinations...

-dwarf fuzzy lionfish
or
pair-maroon clownish(maybe add a bubble tip anemone later)

I am not concerned about aggression because these guys will be the only fish in the tank. So I am trying to get a running list of supplies needed. I would love you guys to critique and comment on my ideas.

so here it goes...

-29 gallon biocube
-Cobalt MJ1200(pump to replace stock pump)
-Jebao w10(extra powerhead)
-Instant Ocean Sea Salt
-heater(haven't decided what type yet)

I figured I would not need a skimmer if I do regular water changes especially on such a small FOWLR tank. I am used to doing 50% water changes for cichlids weekly so 10-30% is not a big deal to me. Is IO ok for sea salt since its fish only? Will an anemone eventually need something better? Also what are peoples feelings about RO/DI verses treated tap water for a system like this? I have looked at so many threads and there are a lot of disagreements. I will need a test kit and something to test salinity am I missing anything else?

I am still going through the process of reading and researching still so bear with me.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Nems won't like 50% water changes think like 10% - some of their food grows in the water column also you'll need t5ho or led lighting for the nem. RO/DI water is not nessessary for fowlr. It comes more into play with stony corals and the reduction of nitrates and po4. Niether fish or nems have that much sensitivity to those so long as you can keep nitrates at 20ppm. However you will more than likely suffer from diatom bacteria build up as well as red slime algae. Protien skimmers will help keep nitrates down. IO basic is a good salt for fowlr - no need for reef crystals.

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
Thanks for the response. I did not plan on doing 50% water changes I was just stating how I am used to doing large water changes fro my cichlids so doing small water changes on this tank should not be much of an issue. As for skimmers I was thinking tunze 9002? What do you guys think about that? Any recommendation for a t5ho replacement for the anemone when that day comes? I might end up investing in an RO/DI system so I do not have algea problems but we will see.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store