What is This??

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Hi everyone.. My flowerhorn was down with pop eye since 2 weeks ago and has not recovered..
Both eyes are cloudy but its right eye has an extra growth popping out.. There was a similar growth last week but it burst and now it came back at the same spot..
The fish was on a diet of glass shrimps and superworms..
I don't know my water parameters as I don't have a habit of testing water but the water looks good..
Not sure what happened but I do a weekly maintenance with 50~80% water change..
Hope someone can enlighten me on this matter.. Thanks..

photo.JPG

photo (1).JPG

photo (2).JPG

adi51096

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2014
india
What are your water parameters?did you check your water paras?if not,then do quickly. The first thing I would do to cure that fish is
to move him into a hospital tank.
Next would be to do a bath treatment with
internal parasite medication such as
Metro + from hikari or Endoparasite from
Azoo. I would leave them in the hospital tank
for 5 days without any food. I would also add
3 spoons of salt per 5 gal. Next would be to
do waterchanges. Make sure the to remove
all the bottom stuff like the poop and weird
slimy stuff every waterchange. If needed to,
remove him in a bucket and clean out the
hospital tank. After the bath treatment, place
him in a clean tank and use my Chingmix
Super Mineral Stone with all the other basic
formula in water treatments.

Sent from my ST26i using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

adi51096

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2014
india
Hope it helped you and hope your flowerhorn will be fine within no time!

REAL FLOWERHORN LOVER!@ADI51096

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
That looks terrible, I wish you hadn’t waited so long before posting.
You will need to use Erythromycin for this. Do a 50% water change and add ¼ teaspoon of Epsom salt per 5 gallons of water to the tank, this will draw some of the fluid from the eye and reduce pressure. Dose with Erythromycin as per instructions on the package. Being a gram-positive antibiotic erythromycin is hard on nitrifying bacteria it is recommended you keep a close eye on your water parameters during treatment a hospital tank is recommended or if the fish is alone in the tank that’s fine too. Once you start treatment you should start to see results within 48 hours. GL.

adi51096

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2014
india
Chingmix is not necessary though :)
And do frequent water changes as it will keep water parameters intact.Do not feed him feeders right now.Feed him pellets or home made fish food.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Thanks for the info guys.. I'll have to look around for the meds..
Where can I get Erythromycin? A quick search online and it doesn't seem like a fish med and more towards human use?
The reason I didn't post earlier was because I did a search on pop eye disease and most solutions were to keep the water clean and it will eventually go away..
Well, needless to say, it didn't recover even after 2 weeks so I got curious and worried..
Is there an explanation to this growth thingy? And could he possibly be blind from this disease?

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
API Erythromycin or Mardel Maracyn (also erythromycin) are both sold for aquatic use. If cloudy eyes are caused by unsuitable water parameters ie Ammonia or Ph as an example then clean water will cure it. If as in this case it is a bacterial infection such as Streptococcus which this appears to be then clean water alone will not help. There is also a parasite called and eye fluke which can infect the eye but due to the presentation in both eyes this is not the case here either. If it was Prazi would be the med to use. What you have is a bacterial infection and should be treated as I discribed. I'm not familiar with meds available in your area but if you check with some LFS they may be able to point you in the right direction.

H]-[H

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
Malaysia
Thanks again for the info..
Is it contagious though? I've only one fish at the moment but if I plan to add fish in the future, will the disease spread?
And is the med safe to use in main tank? I've never used any meds before cause I'm worried bout the chemical side effects so just wanted to be sure..

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
It can be infectious. If you only have the one fish treatment should be pretty stright foward. If you plan on adding other fish cure this first, then make sure you keep the water very clean in the future with low nitrates to minumize stress and you should have no trouble. I can not stress enough the importants of a clean environment with nitrates levels as low as possibile help to avoid any future issues. Don't forget to add the epsom salt as I suggested to reduce fluid build up and try to find the correct meds ASAP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store