turtle pond

flyboy367

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
sayreville, nj
I've been researching on the net and reading a few posts here. i have 2 red ear sliders. one is 7 years old the other i estimate is 17. (woman said it was 3 which was how many years she had it this sucker is huge) well currently they are in a 150 glass tank all water with a dock i made from 2x4 and a plastic tote with the bottom cut out so they can climb up and bask under the light.

just got divorced and am closing on my house soon. i really want to showcase these beauties. I'm turning my living room into an aquatic center. i already built a stand and hood for my 240 (currently in the wall at x house) building a stand and hood for the 150 (maybe do africans or piranha) and i want to build a indoor pond. basically the stand i can do no problem. I'm figuring on a 160-180 gallon preformed pond set at 3' high so to matches the viewing area of my other tanks in the room. there will be an additional 1' of area on all sides of the pond liner. i plan to get some 24" plexiglass the run the perimeter of the setup. i have a new fluvial fx6 for filtration. (compliments of 30%off closing lfs) to replace the aged enhiem thats currently in it. i will use the 2 drop reptile lamps i have with the day and night lights. I'm thinking that tree bark substrait for around the pond and take the large river stone substrate i have in the tank for the bottom of the pond. i have 2 possible locations for the pond. i can put it on the outside wall and it will go under a window (would that cause an issue) or set it in the adjacent corner.

as far as anyone with turtles i have had these guys a while. the little one I've had since probably hatchling (father in law got it at china town thinking the kids would like it) and since I've had them they eat everything. any kind of plants i put in the tank they shred and eat, and while sometimes feeders last a while they always finish them off. since fishing season opened up i caught 2 large bluegills thinking that they would be cool and more natural for the pond. after a week in a separate tank making sure they had no issues i put them in with the turtles and well next day i found half of one in the tank. any suggestions for a fish (guess it will have to be 2x the size of the big turtle) and how i can do some plants without having them shredded since i want everything to look nice. i did put a big plastic plant in the tank they broke that too so i took it out before they ate any plastic.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
Good luck man... turtles are cool.

I would only suggest steering away from acrylic and use glass instead. I have seen what turtles can do to an acrylic tank and its not pretty. Both their shells and claws might make it look like frosted glass after a couple years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store