How long would this last?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I don't want to make a whole big discussion about this I just need to know some quick answers to a few questions since I know I've talked enough about this tank already.

1) how long (time frame) would a green sunfish last in a 20 long? Life?
2) how long (time frame) would a pumpkinseed last in a 20 long? Life?
3) if a green outgrew the tank could I move it to my 75 gal cichlid tank until I get my future 180 native in fall 2015 (cichlid tank is 75 F)?
4) same as number 3 only with pumpkinseed instead of green.
5) would keeping either a pseed or a green in a 20 by itself for a while then moving it to a tank with other fish make it go @pe$hit from being alone for so long then having tankmates?

Reason I'm asking is because after looking around and doing research on greens on the internet I've seen a few threads on various websites where people have reported successfully keeping a green sunfish in a 20 for life or at the least a good few years. I'm possibly getting a 55 gallon I could make just for the fish and if I do get it that's what I'll do but nothing is for sure yet. Filtration would be a lot of plants and probably a sponge filter rated for a 50 gallon tank. Water changes I'm willing to do up to 50% a week. The 75 I could upgrade it to currently contains 6 giant danios (dither), a breeding pair of cutteri cichlids (I'm selling them), a striped raphael catfish, and a sailfin pleco (another growout) and I'm working on finding some new more peaceful yet bulky cichlids that won't breed such as a severum and something else. The 180 is something I'm definitely getting at the soonest of this winter but more than likely fall of next year and whether it's native (99% sure it'll be native) or tropical I know they do fine in either.

AMcCaleb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2013
Southern IL
www.youtube.com
Ok, so I've never kept pumpkinseed but I had a juvenile green in my 75 at one point. I had to remove him because of aggression but I caught him at about 2" and in the 4 months or so that I had him he grew to about 4". 75 would be pretty warm for a green but I think he could handle it, not ideal though.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, so I've never kept pumpkinseed but I had a juvenile green in my 75 at one point. I had to remove him because of aggression but I caught him at about 2" and in the 4 months or so that I had him he grew to about 4". 75 would be pretty warm for a green but I think he could handle it, not ideal though.
Really that's hot?! My house gets a good bit hotter than that in the summer :(

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
I am no expert in natives nor do I have much experience with them, but I have seen ponds in pa reach over 80 in the summer with green sunfish that appear no worse for wear.

Divemaster, I think it would do fine in your cichlid tank for that time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store