heater suggestions

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
So, we fried the heaters in our 125. I'm wondering if I should go with one large heater, or two smaller ones. Also, which heaters are most reliable now? I haven't had to buy a heater in 5 years, I'm sure certain brands have changed. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Tank inhabitants are a 22 inch gold clown knife, 10 inch green sev, Lima shovelnose, and an unidentified catfish of some sort (it's a mystery).

Aquadestroyer2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2012
Minnesota
I would go with two smaller ones, that way if one goes bad it shouldn't be able to fry the tank. As for brand i would go with ehiem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
I would go with two smaller ones, that way if one goes bad it shouldn't be able to fry the tank. As for brand i would go with ehiem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1 It's better to go with 2 rather than one. At least if one of them goes out then the other will last you long enough until you get a new one. I would either get fluval or eheim. Both are good heater but eheim is a little quality.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
+2. Same electrical cost, and you have all but eliminated 2 problems: 1) too cold 2) too hot. Just size the two so that neither is capable of frying the tank. Basically, each by itself should be unable to raise the temp to over 90. (Your fish might need it to be cooler than that, so make allowances.) Similarly, one by itself should be able to keep the tank to at least 70.

K626

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
South FL
That's what I was thinking. I like having 2 smaller heaters. I'm in South Florida, so the temp dropping in the tank below 75 is not a worry at all. I just like it to be consistent.

Any suggestions other than just a brand? I don't like glass heaters, what are you using? I'd like for them to have a guard on them, my ck has a habit of leaning.........

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I always suggest titanium heaters for two reasons. Can't break and when water starts to seep in and condensate you can't see it. If you can't see it, it isn't there. Right?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store