any negitive efects to used crushed coral to control low PH?

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I have two 420 gallon tanks with a drip system on both plus a large bead filters on each tank. I do a three quarter water change and backwash the filters every week.My problem is that I have a lot of fish and the PH is always low,I want to add crushed coral as to keep at 7.0 to 7.5 I plan to add a little crushed coral at a time till I get it where I want. I do not have any problems with ammonia but I have been told that higher Ph is better for holding oxygen when it is higher,and if the power goes out I hope it will buy me some more time till i get my generator going.please do not lecture me the about the fact that i am over stocked,that is my choice,so if any one knows any negative reason for not adding the coral please let me know. I know that tuffa rock would do the same thing but I do not like rocks because a lot of dirt settles under them,and in my tank with large fish I do not want them to smash into them if they get spooked thanks for your advice Noel

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I use an aragonite substrate as a buffer against peat filtration. I've noticed nonill effects.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have also used aragonite (basically pulverized coral) as a buffer, used as a substrate, and as media in a fluidized bed reactor. It is not a quick fix, because it buffers, as the coral is dissolved by acids.
The only downside is, when first added to the tank, it can give the water a milky color, but this disappears as a pH equilibrium is reached.
This milky color would also show whenever I added new aragonite to the reactor as old sand was used up.

You can sort of see the milky water color in the little tank near the reactor in the pic below, the reactor (4ft tall, 8" diameter), with a few lbs of aragonite handled 4 tanks, with a total of 300 gallons. I would add about a cup of new aragonite @ every few months, or if I noticed alkalinity and/or pH start to slip.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
as said, apart from that milkish colouration, which disappears, no ill efects.

I use it also as substrate.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
thanks for the advice I appreciate the feed back. but I want to get coral the size of the red river gravel and mix it in. are you guys telling me that it will eventually dissolve?and I will have to add more to get the same effect over time

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Normal size crushed coral gravel will not disappear in any significant way if mixed with normal gravel,
But because aragonite (pulverized coral) is more quickly dissolved, makes it more effective as a buffer in a shorter period of time.

professor_rob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I use a bag of crushed coral in my sump to help with buffering PH. Have not seen any illeffects. My water ph is always about 7.1-7.4 when I test.

Since setting up my auto water change the ph is pretty constant at 7.4. So might take a bit out. Also best part now nitrates are pretty much 0ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ZEROPILOT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2013
South east Florida
I have crushed coral in my activated carbon in each of my filters as a buffer. I'm very pleased with the results.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I just put in a 40 pound bags of coral gravel in each of my 420 gallon tanks let you know were my PH winds up its at 6.5 now hope to get it at 7.5 to 8.0

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store