Umbee and Dovii true max size

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Yup, this is one of those posts!

After admiring both species for years from afar, I recently picked up what I hope will turn out to be males of both species, and having done a tremendous amount of homework, there's something missing from my info base; the stats list the max size of a male Umbee at 30", and a male dovii at 36", but nowhere ont he web can I find any reason to believe either claim! By that I mean I have not seen any measured fish which come close to verifying these claims.

I have seen a measured 24" umbee, and a 25" dovii, but that's it. Are the max claims even based on factual recordings, or are they based solely on hearsay? Does anyone have pictorial evidence for the reasoning behind these max sizes?

(I know that there have been threads on this topic before, but those haven't led anywhere, and I am hoping that there may finally be some proof)

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
We have threads like this. The last one turned into a shouting match because someone wanted to challenge the sizes that people had posted to IGFA or other sites that record and document fish sizes.

What do you require for "proof." As I said the last guy found nothing was adequate.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...46-Cichlid-average-size&p=6591845#post6591845

Here's a thread you might read as it covers both fish.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Whats the need to know the exact size to the inch? They are both big fish! My Umbee is a solid 20 inch and is about 6 years old. Mel O dovii is a good 25 to 28 inch I think it is 12 years old.

Bottom line expect to keep an over 20 inch fish. So a big foot print of tank is required. My tank has a 6ft by 30 inch foot print with nothing in it and I wouldnt say he is comfortable but also wouldnt say he is uncomfortable. A fish that size I have to change the water a minimum 50 percent 5 to 6 times a month and my water stays pretty good on the nitrate scale.

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
We have threads like this. The last one turned into a shouting match because someone wanted to challenge the sizes that people had posted to IGFA or other sites that record and document fish sizes.

What do you require for "proof." As I said the last guy found nothing was adequate.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...46-Cichlid-average-size&p=6591845#post6591845

Here's a thread you might read as it covers both fish.
Thanks Drstrangelove! IGFA records are good enough for me 'cause I know they verify all claims. If a guy simply showed a picture of his fish with a tape measure next to it, I'd be good with that too. I'm just curious because I've never seen either fish, even in sport fishing pics, at the maximum size stated my most of the aquarium sites.

Looks like the verified max for both is 32". Cool. (I promise no shouting, lol!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store