New 70 gallon tank

bfriz00

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2013
United States
Hey guys I just got a new 70 gallon tank. I've always raised freshwater fish and have never tried saltwater. How hard is it to do a saltwater tank? If I was to go the saltwater route what would be a good stocking list for a 70 gallon tank? Could I try eels? I was also wondering if this would work to start with a black banded coral shark egg and then move it into my spare 180 gallon tank that would become a saltwater tank? Thanks for the help, sorry if these are stupid questions.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

NovaSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2013
Panama city Florida
forget about the shark for now its says expert fish for a reason. that shark gets about 3 1/2 to 4ft and they grow fast. I think a eel will be good for a start and lion fish would be my other choice. just remember to do your research on each fish. because alot of fish get huge in the saltwater hobby and compatibility can cause problems as well. Also since your just getting started i would look into the hardy and easy fish. It does take some tanks awhile before the water starts to level out.

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Hey guys I just got a new 70 gallon tank. I've always raised freshwater fish and have never tried saltwater. How hard is it to do a saltwater tank? If I was to go the saltwater route what would be a good stocking list for a 70 gallon tank? Could I try eels? I was also wondering if this would work to start with a black banded coral shark egg and then move it into my spare 180 gallon tank that would become a saltwater tank? Thanks for the help, sorry if these are stupid questions.

Why not just setup the 180?

boym8087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Hawaii
I'd start out with the bigger tank. Easier to maintain. My first question to you would be what kind of tank are you gonna do? Fish only, fish only w/ live rock, or a reef tank with corals.

I LOVE eels, I have four myself. Extremely hardy, always a nice conversation piece. Be wary of the kind you get and be prepared to only see its head most of the time.

Amazon_Addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Rubicon, Wi
The bigger the tank the easier it is to balance your parameters, which are more important in a salt tank. As stated above, salt is not really any harder. Just a lot of new things to learn. Oh and its like 10x as expensive. I just set up a 10 gallon in my office, and I sunk $400 into it. That's not including fish.

reefman8471

Jack Dempsey
Mar 4, 2006
Theodore, Alabama
Snowflake moray, chainlink moray or a Blackedge Moray....I have a Blackedge. The Blackedge is more of a fish eater while the other two are more of a crustacean or mollusk eater. Eels are generally very hardy. Just remember to keep the tank tightly covered. A Volitans lionfish would be good. Usually pretty easy to get to eat frozen food from a feeding prong which is how you wanna feed your eel.

James

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store