SAL stopped eating and just floats

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Got my first 2" SAL a week ago. He was eating bloodworm or two for the first 7 days. In the last 4 days, he just stays floating at the top where before he would be on the bottom. Now he has stopped eating as of 2 days ago. He would take in a bloodworm, and look like he is eating it. Eventually, he just spits it out. He's in a breeder box.

Anything I can do to get him to start eating again? Why is he just mouthing the bloodworm? Or is this normal for a young SAL? What about the floating is that normal?

Water parameters: Ammonia and nitrites =0ppm, nitrates less than 20ppm, ph=7.8, water temp = 78F

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Floating could mean gas. Maybe epsom salts to make him purge? Dunno about one that small.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
What's the dosage of epsom salt? Do I put it in the main tank or a bath? If a bath for how long?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
hows your guy doing? my little guy does it quite often before passing a big one. his ****s are impressive. I just let him do his thing, If doing epsom salt I think it is 1 tablespoon per 5g. I would do it in a bucket out of the tank. Double check the dose

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
He didn't make it. I found him this morning and he looked like he rammed into the side of the breeder and broke his neck since his body was at a 90 degree angle.

I tried the Epsom salt bath, and it didn't help. He was releasing bubbles as he swam while in the bath but was not sinking. I suspected something else was wrong. I found information on wetwebmedia where someone had a batch of SALs for study that floated, and they determined it to be a bacterial infection that caused them to float. I tried a treatment of Kanaplex for 48 hours to treat for gram negative bacteria since I had that readily on hand but there was no change. The only thing I didn't get to try was Erythromycin.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
sorry to hear that. A two incher is truely a baby and probably a little more difficult to start with. My first SAL was about the length and the thickness of a number 2 pencil. Another lungfish bit off his back third and he still did great. The fish was tough.

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
They love to float when small and you should give them some floating plants to rest on. When tiny mine rarely went to the bottom of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store