Flyriver turtle concern...

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
I've had this FRT almost a year now. He feeds primarily on massivore & carnivore pellets; absolutely ignores algae wafers or fresh veggies!!! Various attempts initially to make him have his veggies have failed only resulting in the water going bad!!!

I'm starting to get concerned about his wellbeing as he has started to develop a kinda rash on his head as can be seen in the pics.

His underbelly is starting to turn pinkish!!!

Also his carapace is looking rough /coarse & the back end is starting to turn upwards!!!

Water parameters are absolutely spot on!!!

He is my first FRT so I do not have any prior experience with them, just what I've read online & they mostly say veggies, veggies, veggies!!! Is everything ok with him, am I getting paranoid unnecessarily??? Else, what am I doing wrong, and what corrective measures do I need to take for his welfare???

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1398041459379.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1398041476309.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1398041500877.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1398041515622.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1398041529467.jpg

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
What size tank? Tank mates? Substrate?

I don't see any rashes but then again I didn't look in detail and I don't know what he looked like before hand, if I'm not mistaken frt need soft substrate, looks like you might have big rock style substrate which could also be bad for your stingrays. Is there a pleco in there? I've read they almost chew on the shells of the frt too which is bad. Also do they get calcium? I've read about putting cuttle bones in the tanks of frt now UVB is up in the air some say yes they need it some say no they don't bask idk but I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in to help where do you live I'd be glad to take him lmao good luck with the guy he's great looking

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

trench

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
From your pictures, I don't think it looks bad. I am not a super experienced keeper of these. I only had 1 baby about 10 years ago. I did notice the belly on mine turn pinkish a bit at times. How big/old is it? The roughness of the shell could just be from rapid growth? That is speculation on my part. You should try to add other foods. Try krill and maybe nls pellets? I had mine for about a year. It was less than 2" when I got it, and grew to almost 4" in the time I had it. It did eat algae wafers, but no other veggies. Once it got a taste of pellet type foods and krill, it was spoiled. You'll have better help soon. Don't panic.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Feed cuttlebone,algae wafers and keep trying veggies but get him off the high protein diet as that is what causes the shell to turn up and not develop properly. The shell will smooth out with age but I don't believe you can correct an upturned shell but you can halt it by feeding the proper diet. Lots of sites on the internet that go into proper care for FRT's. Here is one for starters...http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-fly_river_turtle.htm

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Like bearded dragons and others, they drift into almost fully herbivorous from almost fully carnivorous. Yours looks still quite young. That said, turtles in general are pigs so don't sweat it or give into stubbornness. Wait long enough and he will eat pizza if you put it in. For my FRT, who is an adult (nice inch carapace male) I feed primarily a homemade diet. It is dead-easy and fast to make if you have a blender or can borrow one. Puree (make into a thin paste) various veggies (thawed frozen peas, I steam a bunch of kale, swiss chard, some spinach, etc.), about 75% with some fruits like strawberry, banana and kiwi (25%) with a few cloves of garlic. I add some vitamin d3/calcium powder in as well. Mix boiling water with gelatine according to the package directions, and add that to the puree, mix well and pour into tupperware about an inch deep. Put in the fridge for a few hours to set. Pop out (easiest to sit the tupperware into very hot water for a few seconds) and cut into cubes and then spread the cubes out evenly on a baking sheet to freeze, and then store in ziplock bags. Thaw out (in the fridge) a weeks worth at a time. Believe me, he will eat it along with grapes and whatever, eventually. Very good for him, too.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hasn't that been the case for a few years now?

Wanna Arowana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Middle East
What size tank? Tank mates? Substrate?

I don't see any rashes but then again I didn't look in detail and I don't know what he looked like before hand, if I'm not mistaken frt need soft substrate, looks like you might have big rock style substrate which could also be bad for your stingrays. Is there a pleco in there? I've read they almost chew on the shells of the frt too which is bad. Also do they get calcium? I've read about putting cuttle bones in the tanks of frt now UVB is up in the air some say yes they need it some say no they don't bask idk but I'm sure someone who knows more will chime in to help where do you live I'd be glad to take him lmao good luck with the guy he's great looking

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
The rash like effect is on the top of his head.
No, there aren't any plecos in this tank. My LFS lost 1 due to an ignorant staff putting the newly arrived baby FRT in the same tank as a mid-sized panaque! :wall:

Feed cuttlebone,algae wafers and keep trying veggies but get him off the high protein diet as that is what causes the shell to turn up and not develop properly. The shell will smooth out with age but I don't believe you can correct an upturned shell but you can halt it by feeding the proper diet. Lots of sites on the internet that go into proper care for FRT's. Here is one for starters...http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-fly_river_turtle.htm
The sites say primarily veggie diet, but my turtle says bring on the meat!!! Don't know how to get him interested in his veggies!!!
The pics of FRTs online & the way his carapace looks is very different, that's why i'm kinda worried that there could be something wrong with his health or maybe something arising from his poor food habits!

Like bearded dragons and others, they drift into almost fully herbivorous from almost fully carnivorous. Yours looks still quite young. That said, turtles in general are pigs so don't sweat it or give into stubbornness. Wait long enough and he will eat pizza if you put it in. For my FRT, who is an adult (nice inch carapace male) I feed primarily a homemade diet. It is dead-easy and fast to make if you have a blender or can borrow one. Puree (make into a thin paste) various veggies (thawed frozen peas, I steam a bunch of kale, swiss chard, some spinach, etc.), about 75% with some fruits like strawberry, banana and kiwi (25%) with a few cloves of garlic. I add some vitamin d3/calcium powder in as well. Mix boiling water with gelatine according to the package directions, and add that to the puree, mix well and pour into tupperware about an inch deep. Put in the fridge for a few hours to set. Pop out (easiest to sit the tupperware into very hot water for a few seconds) and cut into cubes and then spread the cubes out evenly on a baking sheet to freeze, and then store in ziplock bags. Thaw out (in the fridge) a weeks worth at a time. Believe me, he will eat it along with grapes and whatever, eventually. Very good for him, too.
Hmmm... interesting, will definitely give it a shot!!! :thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store