Building iguana cage?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I'm getting a red iguana soon and plan on building it a 4'x18"x3'high cage out of an unfinished tank stand I have laying around. I've made a cage like this years ago with my dad and was wondering if anyone knows the best type of chicken wire will do. I know the last one we used really thin wire and it worked out well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
if its good enough for a chicken I suppose its good enough for an Iguana, I mean they both have the same kind of strength in terms of ripping through things.
Good luck with everything I would love to embark upon the same journey youre about to.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Yes that's true. I've decided to go taller also. That way it will be easier to expand the cage when the time comes.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
The only problem with making a cage from wire is that you'll have an awful hard time keeping the humidity in.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
That's true and the place I live is far from humid. I choose chicken wire since it's cheap and easy to work with. Buying acrylic in the sizes I need and will need in the future can become costly

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
The problem with chicken wire is that it rusts pretty quickly. I built a chicken coop last year and by the end of the summer most of it was already starting to rust. Of course mine is outdoors in the elements but the same would probably happen once you start spraying the cage with water. I think you'd be better off with some galvanized rabbit cage wire made up of 1/4" or 1/2" squares.

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
I have never been a fan or thin wire mesh for caging. It acts too much like a giant cheese grader, and the animals claws can get stuck in it.

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
Use the aluminum Window screen, it's inexpensive and won't rust. You can use a heavy duty stapler to attach it to the outside of a 2x2 frame or sandwich it between 1x2's and make a fairly sturdy cage. To keep humidity in you can cover that with the clear plastic sheeting which also helps keep the mess contained.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
There are checked wire made of and coated in PVC. When I had my old cage I never had a problem with rust or the iguanas nails getting caught in them

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Why don't you use melanin for the sides, top and bottom to help keep humidity in and some acrylic for the front viewing window. That's how I build my snake cages

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store