Florida Gar not wanting to eat?

byrdman75

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2013
STL
so i got this gar about 2 months ago, around 10" and the only thing it will eat is feeders, well im done feeding it feeders, i dont want disease to hit my tank. i feed the other fish pellets and shrimp, but he pays no attention. its been about 2 weeks since he has last ate, how long can i continue to starve him before giving in? tanks mates 6" motoro stingray, 12" Clown Knife. this is a 180 gallon tank.

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
Try silversides, that's how I got my Florida gar of feeders, I had to hand feed them at first, wave it at the surface make it look alive and he will take it.now mine is eating tilapia and shrimp, and occasionally a pellet or 2

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
Try silversides, that's how I got my Florida gar of feeders, I had to hand feed them at first, wave it at the surface make it look alive and he will take it.now mine is eating tilapia and shrimp, and occasionally a pellet or 2, it took mine about two weeks without anything to accept the silversides

jpcampbell123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
also too try wiggling some shrimp in front of him worked good for mine. also had one gar that loved pieces of night crawlers if it dont switch over i would continue to feed it live and add aquarium salt to the feeders for a few days before you give them to your gar

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
My gator gar was 24inches long when I got it only ate feeder goldfish some one told me about kent garlic extract. I feed my fish freeze dried krill and Tilapia fillets that I cut the long way into strips then make cross cuts into smaller pieces.I put the extract right on the tilapia and mixed it in with mt finger, and the very first time I did it he ate it,then he started to eat the krill and now he eats Hikari carnisticks. He is growing supper fast and put on a lot of girth.Hope that helps you out Noel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store