Proper hoplias prices

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Well title says it all, my build will be done in a couple months so I'm looking for a big bad wolf to rule the bottom. Questions

What are the average prices of hoplias lacerdae? I've never seen them for sale and would like one of these

Average prices for iguazu? Only saw juvies on Wes' list once

Good prices on black wolves? I've seen em ranging from 150 to 350

Also best place/vendor to get them? I've only ever seen mala locally which I don't want

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sharkaquarium had some a few weeks ago.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Better study up on how to ID....... You'll need it IF you're after Lacerdae. They are really tough to find, and IF/when you do find one it's very possible it's mis ID'd.

Jury is still out on IF indeed Iguazas are a Lacerdae variant.

Wes (Fugupuff), Shark Aquarium, and Erik (Braveheart Calif) are the best vendor type sources for Wolves.

And IF anyone is going down to catch any Lacerdaes in the near future please PM me so I can buy a bunch..... lol

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Oh I have been DB, seems like the snout shape is pretty key for a proper ID, with lacs and aimara seem to have more pointed snouts in comparison to curu and mala. I did see that Shark has some now, I'll be ready to buy when my build is done though so hopefully some will be around then.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
The primary way to differentiate among H. malabaricus, lacerdae and australis is the shape of the gill covers (looking at the fish with the underside facing you). And the collection location. The covers come together on one, don't on another and are like an hour glass on another...just don't recall which :)

Especially at small sizes, they're hard to tell apart.

Depending on where you are in Uruguay and the time of year, you can literally catch hundreds of little ones and dozens of bigger ones. Of course, bringing back larger ones isn't really practical and you can't keep them with other fish while traveling so they end up being a lot of work to keep.

I was tempted to bring some back from last trip to Uruguay but didn't want to risk trouble with USFWS over fish that are not permitted in Florida (I came through Miami).

Here are some shots by Barry Heller of an H. lacerdae (if I recall) we caught at Zanja Honda in NW Uruguay.

MattIMG_3658.jpgIMG_3659.jpgIMG_3660.jpgIMG_3661.jpgIMG_3662.jpgIMG_3663.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

IMG_3659.jpg

IMG_3660.jpg

IMG_3661.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
Nice! Thanks for the tip I found a diagram showing the differences from an upside down perspective

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store