new 75gal trophious tank

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
i need some advise.

i just traded MOST of my livestock to start a trophious tank.

i coulndnt bare to get rid of my 6in frontosa....and also opted to keep 2 calvus, an orinotis, and a lilupe

i just picked up

3 buma? (black with yellow stripe)
2 flame (black with red sripe)
1 pineapple (mostly yellow with black and red)
1 firecracker (mostly black with velvet red mixed in,seems to be the biggest dick)
2 dabosi

sooooo does this tank pose a problem at all?

i most care about the trophious, then the frontosa.
all other livestock can be traded in at LFS.

and as far as decor goes, its 80% slate rock with some maponi root.
do i want tons of crevices or more open roaming space? any help is appricated

JUST got everyone in togeather about 15 mins ago, i obviously have SOMEEEE agression.

ive turned off the lights, just wondering what i should be on the look out for...... THANKS

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
i need some advise.

i just traded MOST of my livestock to start a trophious tank.

i coulndnt bare to get rid of my 6in frontosa....and also opted to keep 2 calvus, an orinotis, and a lilupe

i just picked up

3 buma? (black with yellow stripe)
2 flame (black with red sripe)
1 pineapple (mostly yellow with black and red)
1 firecracker (mostly black with velvet red mixed in,seems to be the biggest dick)
2 dabosi

sooooo does this tank pose a problem at all?

i most care about the trophious, then the frontosa.
all other livestock can be traded in at LFS.

and as far as decor goes, its 80% slate rock with some maponi root.
do i want tons of crevices or more open roaming space? any help is appricated

JUST got everyone in togeather about 15 mins ago, i obviously have SOMEEEE agression.

ive turned off the lights, just wondering what i should be on the look out for...... THANKS
Well IME tropheus and fronts do not do well together. Also a front is much better suited for a 6' tank. As far as the tank setup Hiding spots would be good IME, but there is also the theory that no hiding spots/décor prevents territorial battles. I'd honestly get rid of everything but the tropheus if they are your favorite or I think there will be issues down the road. Of course you could also just see how things go and adjust as needed, though before buying you should have posted...

underminded146

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
floridia
i had actually traded for all of them at my local fish store, its mainly a saltwater place so he wasnt able to tell me what would really work well with what. he just ordered the fish lol

but ive already fallen in love with the trophious. soooooooo if its whats best, everything else is out the door.

i only have 9 trophious in the tank now, i should be looking for about 5-6 more to fill the 75 gal tank?

thanks for the help, and where can i find images on how to spot bloat. i see how to treat it and what causes it, but i want to be able to spot it.......am i just looking for a bloated belly? no other tell signs?

axs377

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA
Yeah, Tropheus only would be best. You should be ok with 12-15 in a 75, though make sure you have some good filtration as this will be a heavy bio-load. Also make sure you are not feeding them food heavy in protein. In the wild they eat mainly algae with an occasional snail, etc. If you feed them meaty foods they will have intestinal issues. With proper diet and water quality bloat should not be an issue. But if you believe they have it you can do a search on this website for signs and suggested treatment (usually salt).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store