Starting My 60 Gallon Tany Tank

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
Hello All

I finally broke down and decided to get a 60 gallon 48x15x18 acrylic tank.

Although I've had a 56 gallon Malawi tank for about 6 years, it's a show tank and so the new acrylic looks and lot bigger.

My current glass tank got a rare glass disease ( Google it) and since I just started a Tanganyikan tank, it was too depressing to look at.

Having said that, I turned a 5 gallon Fluval Spec tank into a temporary holding tank while I setup my new tank.

I'm looking for suggestions from experienced Tany tank owners on what I should do to make the new tank awesome. There is no better time for me to get suggestions than now before I setup the tank.

I'll list my fish below, but I'm interested in hard scape and substrate, as well as plants.

I'd like to keep the tank as authentic as possible, so I only have fish from Tanganyika.

Cyprichromis Leptosoma Utinta (may get more of a different variety)
Black calvus
Petricola
Similis
Ocellatus

I'm going for a look of two different substrates separated by a low rock formation, and then some caves built from rocks in the back.

I have nice shells for the shellies already.

Ideas? Mistake to avoid?

BTW-- I'm not trying to breed anything.

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Odstar

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2014
North Hollywood
I'm in the process as well in putting a Tang Shelldweller tank. So far I've purchased pool filter sand from the local pool shop for about 10 dollars for a 50lb bag and lace rock I got from a building supply/landscaping store for about 35 cents a pound. I know you mentioned you wanted to authentic but getting those shells from the Rift lakes are too expensive in my opinion. Just contact your local Fish shop to see if you can have their empty/dead turbo shells to use for you shell dwellers. Or just look on amazon for some escargot shells

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
I'm in the process as well in putting a Tang Shelldweller tank. So far I've purchased pool filter sand from the local pool shop for about 10 dollars for a 50lb bag and lace rock I got from a building supply/landscaping store for about 35 cents a pound. I know you mentioned you wanted to authentic but getting those shells from the Rift lakes are too expensive in my opinion. Just contact your local Fish shop to see if you can have their empty/dead turbo shells to use for you shell dwellers. Or just look on amazon for some escargot shells

Thank

I actually got some great shells off of eBay from Israel that were from Indonesia huh? Anyway, I got 5 large shells for $15 and that included shipping.
I'm set on shells but I might look into nicer rocks from a landscaping place too.

Thanks again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store