Another Crab ID

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
Caught this little guy while fishing. I caught him in freshwater but fairly close to the sea, maybe 500meters distance. There are probably two dozen different species of crabs here, most salt water and terrestrial I would guess, however ample freshwater species too

His back legs seem modified for swimming, they're flattened out like paddles, and he has the ability to swim pretty fast. Also he seems to do well in other parts of the water column, not just a bottom dweller.

Can anyone ID the species? Is it a salt water species that had was just moon lighting up stream? Are they fully aquatic? How long can they live in freshwater?
Crab 5.JPGCrab 4.JPGCrab 3.JPGCrab 6.JPG

Crab 3.JPG

Crab 4.JPG

Crab 5.JPG

Crab 6.JPG

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
By no means am I an expert, but it looks like a blue claw crab (I catch them over in NJ). They can travel upstream and some even live in fresh water. I've never tried it, but I always thought it would be interested to catch one in freshwater and see how it fares in aquaria. The one you have appears to be a small male.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
I think you are correct, they seem to be a very abundant and versatile species. I don't know, but I imagine that if you caught a juvenile in fresh water, and had no intention of breeding them, they would make an interesting addition. This little guy was definitely in freshwater and he seemed to be pretty happy, however I have no idea if he wandered up for the day or for the next 3 months. I am curious to know how big they would get in an aquarium. 9" is pretty large.

fish squish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
United States
9" is pretty large, but I rarely see any bigger than 7.5" in the bay. If you had a small one, I doubt it'd get much past 6" in the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store