Jaguar Cichlid with Frontosa Burundies?

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Could a pair of Jaguar Cichlids live in a 140g, with 3 Frontosas, 2 females, 1 male, and 1 Synodontis Eupterus, 1 Synodontis Hybrid, 1 Synodontis Unknown
I dont know if the dimensions would matter, but here: Length: 160CM. Width: 55cm. Hight: 60cm.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Just keep a female Jag and a male convict...They might pair up...I have F1 and F2 Con x Jags. That is if you wanted a pair, but you would have to find a large convict. A male convict would be aggressive, but I don't think he could be as destructive as a full grown Jag male during a spawn. Again, they might not pair, but i like to keep all types of fish and push the limits of what works and go from there. GL

Those are my F1 ConJags in my avatar
IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Ok, well thanks. I got 1 frontosa, and i know they like to be in groups, so im getting 2 more, and i got the Syno catfish too, so just trying to find out what tankmate options i have.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
Get a group of 5+ frontosa. They´ll do much better than if only kept in a trio.
On the other hand, if yo ustick to the frontosa (and synos) you´ll be able to have the tank properly set for frontosa (appropriate Ph, calm tank, etc) which will be difficult to achieve if you mix them with CA cichlids

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
A pair no, they'd stress or kill all the fronts
Absolutely correct. Bad idea, simple as that. And not just a pair, odds would also be stacked against keeping fronts with a single jaguar.

The problem is not ph or hardness, the range you could keep them would be similar for both species, no issue at all there. The problem is a significant mismatch between the fish themselves. Despite being a beefy, powerful fish in their own right, fronts don't come close to the jaguar in aggression or toughness, they can be bullied relatively easily and they don't do well when stressed. It would be a one out of a hundred fluke for it not to turn out badly for the fronts. It would take one heck of a mean front and/or one heck of a meek or peaceful jag for the jag not to intimidate and bully the front-- or worse.

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Just keep a female Jag and a male convict...They might pair up...I have F1 and F2 Con x Jags. That is if you wanted a pair, but you would have to find a large convict. A male convict would be aggressive, but I don't think he could be as destructive as a full grown Jag male during a spawn. Again, they might not pair, but i like to keep all types of fish and push the limits of what works and go from there. GL

Those are my F1 ConJags in my avatar
View attachment 1007103
To be F1 fish the parents of your con and jag would have to be wild caught. Are they? I would be surprised if wild caught fish would hybridize that easily. Even for jags and cons.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store