How should I handle a fish that hates light?

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
I have a very nice, healthy Aussie lungfish...24 inches long, eats well, etc. I have had him for a couple of months. He lives with about 25 rainbowfish of various kinds. The tank lighting is just a single strip fluorescent bulb (48 inches on a six foot tank) so it is hardly blinding. Quite dim, actually, but necessary to appreciate the great colours on the rainbowfish. Ambient lighting in the fishroom doesn't bug him at all. He just sits on the bottom, moves around occasionally looking for food. But when the light is on above, he gets restless and annoyed, rushing around, banging into glass. Not a panicky bolt immediately, it si not that the light startles him, but just, ten or twenty seconds, the rushing around starts like it annoys him.

So I guess my question is should I just accept it, or should I turn the lights on in the morning and off at night and just wait for him to get used to it?

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
It is a good suggestion and pretty much what I was thinking as well. Which leads to the next question and maybe I will start another thread as this one doesn't seem to be attracting a lot of interest: what are some ideas about creating a shelter for a beefy two-foot Aussie lungfish?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
what size are the other fish in the tank. 24 inch fish in what i am taking as a 6ft 125 or 150 tank, you may need a bigger boat. err tank.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Chimney pipe would work but, weighs quite a bit. A driftwood hollow or bough half would work and provide a nice surface to propagate anchoring plants. A large terracotta planter, soaked in water for a week then sawn in half with the bottom removed would also work. Also, keep an eye out for eroded out lava rock. I've found some that were lava tubes that I split to provide caves for a couple of tanks.

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Tank is a 200g (26 wide, 25 high), it is fine for now. Other fish are a couple of inches long each. Good suggestions Oddball.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store