What do I have here?

onedayaway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2012
Edmonton, ab
Just wondering if anyone could ID this fish for me. They were labeled red devils at the LFS. Don't look anything like my red devil as a juvenile so I took a chance on 3 thinking they might be something neat. This is the biggest one if the attached picture works. They have red / orange eyes and the biggest one almost has red tinted fins. 1" to 2" in length. So what do I have here?!

20140422_151431.jpg

20140422_151431.jpg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Looks like one of the Amphilophus species, cold be one of the barred type from Nicaragua. But hard to tell exactly. they are very similar.
Below is Amphilophus sp amarillo

fug202

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Boise, ID
Here is a 4.5" male A. lyonsi. I believe that the dark spot ringed in blue on the caudal peduncle is always quite distinct in this species. It may be occur in other Amphilophus species as well, but I don't see it in the OP's photo. Also, the mouth seems to have more pronounced lips.

IMG_9978 copy.JPG

IMG_9978 copy.JPG

Brobstfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
USA
Here is a 4.5" male A. lyonsi. I believe that the dark spot ringed in blue on the caudal peduncle is always quite distinct in this species. It may be occur in other Amphilophus species as well, but I don't see it in the OP's photo. Also, the mouth seems to have more pronounced lips.

View attachment 1007190
I have seen many trimacs with similar "flowers" on the peduncle, although I can see why you would think that. Upon re reading the post it is most likely an unfaded midevil, due to the fact that is was labeled as a red devil in the store.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store