Hatch'N Feeder????

Chidori Noodlez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Michigan
Ok first I didn't see a feeding forum so if this is the wrong place MOD please move to appropriate place. Thanks

So I was at the lfs and seen this hatch n feeder so I got it. But I was wondering if I put it in the fry tank(piranha fry)... Would I be risking anything cause of the salt.. I read somewhere that I shouldn't put salt in a fry tank... So good idea or bad... Any info will be consumed by my grey matter... Thanks in advance for input... Oh here is a pic

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1398208187.550722.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1398208208.491185.jpg

cassd

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
montreal
I have seen these before and was tempted to buy one but the manager at my lfs who breeds fish himself told me its not the best product and one thing is look at the brand kinda cheap and won't work to spec I rinse my brine shrimp before I feed to my rbp fry so it would not really take care of removing all the salt but in theory it's cool but I have been told it is not the best

Chidori Noodlez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Michigan
The lfs owner said alot of the fish club guys have been using them. Guess he got me with his sales pitch..lol

Guess there's never a easier way huh...lol thanks for the input really appreciate it

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Here's my experience with this thing:
It does work, brine shrimp hatch, and they swim out of the container and into the tank. Fish fry will line up at the opening to catch them. It's awesome because it allows them to snack (and grow) all day. Having said that, its productivity is very low, even if you add more eggs. Your fry will not be able to fill their stomachs over the course of a day, you will still need an external brine culture as your main food supply.
Salt will not quantitatively leave the chamber. An oceanographer friend of mine once explained it to me, but it was over my head...

HarleyK

HarryD67

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2013
Pennsylvania
Here's my experience with this thing:It does work, brine shrimp hatch, and they swim out of the container and into the tank. Fish fry will line up at the opening to catch them. It's awesome because it allows them to snack (and grow) all day. Having said that, its productivity is very low, even if you add more eggs. Your fry will not be able to fill their stomachs over the course of a day, you will still need an external brine culture as your main food supply.Salt will not quantitatively leave the chamber. An oceanographer friend of mine once explained it to me, but it was over my head...HarleyK
+1 on this.
I had used them for years and only ever had found two major complaints with them. The first being that you still need to have another hatchery system running to keep up with the demand. The second is the suction cup doesn't hold the weight of it very well, I ended up putting it in a corner and using two rocks one underneath and one on the side to help keep it from moving.

Chidori Noodlez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2013
Michigan
Thanks for the info guys definitely some good stuff... I'll give it a try and continue to use frozen bb an start hatching some too... Man thanks a lot

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
2 2liter bottle hatcheries and a lb can of eggs is the only way to go. Super easy to have fresh bbs everyday for any amount of fry.

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
That hatchery might work for community fish ie dicus,angels,ect. With piranha its not going to produce what they need and you'll suffer heavy casualties.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store