Crappie Feeding

giford

Feeder Fish
Apr 21, 2014
Missouri
I have a crappie that I caught in a 10 gallon tank and have been having trouble getting him to eat. I realize that you need to ween them onto regular fish feed but he won't eat anything. I've had him for about a week and all he's eaten is a small goldfish that I put in the tank. I've tried meal worms, fish eggs, and even added a couple more small goldfish yesterday but he's not eating anything. In fact the goldfish have been swimming along side him like they're friends! What can I feed him? Thank you in advance.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Can you provide more information. How big is the crappie, generally speaking wild caught fish do not readily take to anything but live foods. That said goldfish are not very good feeders Fathead minnows would be much better and they are native. What do you have in the tank? Is your PH level neutral and what is your ammonia. A ten gallon is to small for a full grown crappie. It could be a starter tank for a small fish.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I'm going to need more specifications in order to help you out here. I'd need to know things such as: is the tank cycled, what's the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, hardness if you know, what were the Params where you caught him, etc.

Also as stated by the above poster you're going to have to upgrade in a matter of time. A full grown crappie (white or black) I wouldn't put in anything in under a 75 gallon with a couple of other tankmates. and if this is your first tank then you need to know this I case you already don't "please don't ever release a fish into the wild whether you caught it there or not!" The fish could be carrying new diseases that aren't native to where you caught it plus it will have a harder time getting used to hunting for its food rather than being periodically fed on a daily to bi-daily basis.

giford

Feeder Fish
Apr 21, 2014
Missouri
This is my first tank and it is not cycled. I was planning on upgrading to a 75 gallon tank this summer I just haven't had the opportunity yet. I caught him at a small local lake on line and reel, put him in a bucket brought him home and put him in the tank, he is about 7 inches long.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
This is my first tank and it is not cycled. I was planning on upgrading to a 75 gallon tank this summer I just haven't had the opportunity yet. I caught him at a small local lake on line and reel, put him in a bucket brought him home and put him in the tank, he is about 7 inches long.
My number one thought on this is: it isn't cycled. Now I fish-cycle all my tanks but if it's a community I use very hardy fish like giant danios and do 20% water changes every day for the first month. If I'm doing a wet pet aquarium (which is what you've got here) I use seeded gravel and seeded sponge filter(s) if I have any available. I see this is your first tank so you won't have any preseeded media: that's ok we can work with this. I'd say go to your LFS and PACK the tank with java moss, it'll absorb some ammonia. For future reference if you do another wet pet tank here is what I'd do: use ALL preseeded gravel from another tank, add a spare filter if you have one, add a food bit of plants if you can.

PS, 7 inches is already way to big for a 10 gallon, you're going to need to upgrade ASAP unless you want to be doing 50%s three times a week. What's your filtration and aeration for this tank again?

AMcCaleb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2013
Southern IL
www.youtube.com
The fish is stressed from being caught, so there's motivation for him not to eat. He's in a tank that's way way way too small for him already. A large bodied fish like a crappie that's already 7 inches long should never go into a tank as small as a 10 gallon. Plus, the tank is uncycled which means that ammonia is building up and is probably already at toxic levels and will soon probably kill him. I would say that these are all good reasons for him to not eat. Plus you mentioned that there are a few goldfish in the tank with him and they're messy fish too. I'm surprised he lasted a week. You're going to need to upgrade him right away to a much larger tank.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Agreed with all the above. Also being this is your first tank did you treat the water prior to adding the fish? As stated by everyone else 10 get is to small for this guy. I would hate to see you lose a fish. I money is the issue as with purchasing a larger tank , I would house him in anything that is non toxic, do your research prior to purchasing, many plastic tubs will leak hazardous toxins into the water. If you have the gumption and know how perhaps a DYI aquarium would be the best option as it is generally much cheaper than purchasing a tank from your LFS. Rembert length and width is more important than height. Make sure to get the proper filter for your fish. Also keep in mind what kind of water your species originates from. You want the keep the aquarium current close to what it's natural habitat would be. As the above poster stated goldfish are very messy. They are also lacking in many nutrients, they are fatty fish. Fatheads will be your best option IMO. Use your ten gallon for your feeder tank. You should always quarantine any feeder bought from your LFS. A UV sterilizer I'd also a good investment as well. You know the saying you are what you eat. Well the same applies for fish. What is done is done, I hope you get this rectified prior to loss of your fish. Take this as a learning experience. It is best to plan everything out prior with proper research and accommodations for the species you will be housing. I hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store