Looking to build a glass tank again-Questions

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I'm back to the drawing board after my unfortunate event with the acrylic tank I was supposed to pick up.

I want to build a glass aquarium out of 3/8's glass. Garf says that at 24 inches depth that it is safe, but I'm aware it would be a better idea to go 1/2 inch.

What I'm thinking is to reduce the height down the 22 inches and add some good glass supports on top and then 3/8's should be fairly safe. I would add bracing to the outer sides and then 2 or three in the middle. The tank is going to have to be moved relatively soon so I don't want it to be too heavy and at 3/8 thickness, it is fairly close to the weight of acrylic. The dimensions will either be 7ft*32"wide*22" tall or 8ft*32"wide*22 tall. I need to make some decisions fairly quickly as I have the large arowana in my tank that I want to move asap.

Do you think that this is a plausible tank or is it too dangerous to consider?

MarineMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2014
Southern California
At that thickness my money is on you ending up with 300+ gallons of water on your floor. Those dimensions are close to my 300g 96" x 30" x 24" and the glass is 3/4 or 7/8 " thick with 6" wide top braces on each end and (2) 12" braces evenly spaced in the center. If cost is an issue have you looked for something that size used?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Length really doesn't make much of a difference on this one. My numbers call for 3/8" glass with a safety factor of 3.0. Of course, this is assumed to be strongly braced. If you plan on moving it, I would suggest bumping up the thickness a bit to give it some added rigidity.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Length really doesn't make much of a difference on this one. My numbers call for 3/8" glass with a safety factor of 3.0. Of course, this is assumed to be strongly braced. If you plan on moving it, I would suggest bumping up the thickness a bit to give it some added rigidity.
Appreciate the reply again Pharaoh. I'm pricing out glass now. With the dimensions posted it adds around an extra 100 pounds for the jump to 1/2 inch, which doesn't seem like much but considering the area I have to maneuver it around, it will feel like an extra 300. lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store