75 gallon stocking ideas

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Hey all just wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I have a twenty gallon long(species spefic tank) with a 2.5 in Redfin Pickerel(have a 65 gallon for when he is larger.) However I recently purchased a 75 gallon. Currently have it cycling. Setup with a nice fuval canister filter (306). I originally planned making it a tropical freshwater. However I am giving my african cichlids the to my brother for his start up. All I will have housed in it is a 12 in. Pleco. Any thoughts I was thinking some warmouth or rock bass. Possibly smallies. I want something really unique for the 75 as it is my largest. I am working on a 520 g aquarium that will have either a Tiger musky or Northern Pike. I work on it as I have the extra money. I always throughly research my possible additions. I would like to stay with my native theme.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Adi thanks for the reply, but I am trying to stray away from cichlids this time around. Trying to stay with fish native to the US unless something else really catches my eye.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Smallie meaning smallmouth bass I can assume correct. Smallmouth I'd say no smaller tank than a 180 gallon or so. Rock bass can be extremely aggressive just so you know and may wind up killing many of your more peaceful sunfish such as pumpkinseeds. A good choice would be 6 Longears, I'm just setting up my first native now as well so I can't say from experience but whenever I go fishing in the creek that connects the upper and lower ends of my local lake and the water is clear I noticed the bluegills look much better in groups of 5-6 than just 2-3.

AMcCaleb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2013
Southern IL
www.youtube.com
Longears are incredible fish. I have had longears in a 75. They won't outgrow it and they look amazing. A group of 6 longears would be great for a 75 setup. Here's a video of what I had going not too long ago.

[YT]dyqXiCoF0Wk[/YT]

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Longears are incredible fish. I have had longears in a 75. They won't outgrow it and they look amazing. A group of 6 longears would be great for a 75 setup. Here's a video of what I had going not too long ago.

[YT]dyqXiCoF0Wk[/YT]
Yay, finally I had good idea for a tank that looks good and isn't overstocked :). Hey Aaron, what'd you end up doing in the end after all that debate?

AMcCaleb

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2013
Southern IL
www.youtube.com
I'm down to the one longear right now. I'm going to put a school of spotfin or steelcolor shiners in the tank with him to act as dithers. I can't get rid of the longear. I'm too attached to him. I think since he's going to be a "pet" fish that I'm going to have to name him.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
I agree the longears have a great look to them. Very peaceful looking. How are they with plants? I've always been a sunfish fan, being an Ohio native that is the first fish every youngster catches. 180 for smallies(Ohio lingo for small mouth bass) is a bummer I don't think the ffiancé will let me get another tank that large. Took up a huge amount of my man save with the 520. That's definitely the best idea I have heard thus far. Thank you for the input i will strongly consider your suggestion. Great looking tank BTW.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Longears are overall amazing fish! Sadly I live in PA and longears are both endangered and illegal to keep (due to being endangered) :(. Not to mention I've never once seen one in person while fishing, scuba diving, etc, even in ohio! Hey would definitely be a good choice for you though, I wish you good luck with the tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store